My Silkie Just Squatted!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Enchanted Sunrise Farms, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Oh my, i wasn't expecting this so soon. My girls are only 19 weeks. i was getting a little worried about one of them. i thought i had weeded out all the roosters (they made themselves pretty apparent). But one of my little black silkies has been developing little red wattles.

So i was out in the pen watching everyone. Went to pick up this little girl, Dusty, and she squatted right down for me! So i guess eggs are coming soon. Only thing is, i am not so clear on what to do for a nesting box. Do they like a box low to the ground, or surrounded by something? i bought a double wooden nest box and have it on the concrete floor part of the pen. But everyone just gets in and kicks the straw out. i would be worried an egg would get kicked around. Maybe i can put the nest box inside the small rabbit hutch in the pen. They don't sleep in there.

Wow, i am so excited! How dinky are these eggs gonna be?

2. IHeartChickens

IHeartChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Pacific NW
    I've heard that the nest box on the ground works well because then they don't use it for roosting. Good luck and post pics when you get your first bity eggs. [​IMG]

3. lyndatu

lyndatu Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Congratulations [​IMG]

Silkies seldom lay eggs, though.

Good luck!

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

My nests are on the ground and my birds just go into the corners and lay their eggs and leave. My first silkie egg was the size of a ping pong ball. LOL I now get golf ball sized ones 6/7 days of the week from my one girl. She is a rather a typical silkie though... lays like a champ and wont even think about brooding some eggs.

5. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Well, i put the nest box inside the low, smaller rabbit hutch. There is a walk ramp up to it, and a lot of the girls go in there during the day to kick the straw around. i put a golf ball in each nest. Then i spent the rest of the day putting my hand over Dusty just to watch her squat down. i also tried it with all the others, but they just scooted off. Hope i get at least a couple girls like yours, Silkiechicken. i could use more eggs here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by