1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Silkie Laid Her First Egg This Morning, Now What?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MsSilkie0905, Dec 26, 2013.

1. MsSilkie0905

MsSilkie0905 New Egg

Aug 29, 2013
    Rochester,NY
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]My Silke who is about 4 months old just laid her first egg this morning! But, it is awfully small.. and I am a little worried. My Silkies never sit on the egg either, is that normal? This is my first time owning and raising chickens, so any advice from you guys would be very helpful [​IMG]. I was also wondering if I should buy an incubator for the eggs?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Even large fowl pullet eggs are tiny. I haven't had silkie pullets but I can only imagine they would be about the size of an acorn.
    If you are new, then your birds will have to lay a while before the hormones are produced so they get the urge to raise a family.
    If you have a rooster with the pullets then you can incubate or wait for them to go broody.
    It isn't a good idea to incubate pullet eggs. The shell is too small. Wait. Patience is a virtue - and I want it now!!!

3. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Silkies usually don't start laying until at least 5 months, usually closer to 6 or 7 months old. I have found that some of my Silkies sit, and some of them don't. One girl went broody at 6 months, and a few of the others have gone broody after her. I've heard that the older they get, the likelier it is that they will go broody.

The good thing about Silkies is that you don't need an incubator, they will do it for you, as long as you are okay with them only raising a few babies at a time (the most I've gotten to hatch under a Silkie was 12 bantam eggs, but different mommas are different). If you would like to raise more babies, you want Silkies that do not go broody as often (chickens stop laying eggs when they go broody), and you might want an incubator.

Don't forget the rooster, too [​IMG] and good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by