My silkie pullet cock a doodle dooing?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by WiscoChiko, Sep 18, 2010.

1. WiscoChiko

WiscoChiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2010
    Portage county WI
    Hey there real new to the chicken world have a nice blue splash silkie pullet(I think) this evening she was standing up on the top roost cock a doodle dooing does this mean she is a he? It was loud louder than I've heard any of my hens ever be? The lady sold her as a pullet. Huh I can't have roosters where I'm at either [​IMG] Oh well if she is a he he's wonderful and will find a good home easy.
    I've had her for a while and this is the first time i've heard this and it's afternoon not morning.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

If theres a certain part of the bird that helps more let me know.
    Thanks W.C.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    If it crows it's a rooster, but to help you out next time, look at the comb area. If it is all puffy and wrinkled, that is a rooster. Hens have smooth comb area.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

It is apparently really hard to sex silkies. They say until it crows or lays....you never know. But I still like to guess!

4. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Looks like a boy.

5. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree, that looks like a roo. Hens will, on occasson, crow when a rooster is not present in a flock, and feels the need to take over. But as that young age, plus the looks to go on (although the pics are small), you have a rooster. I'm sorry.

Whoever sold the bird to you either pulled a quick one on you or made a mistake. Silkies are one of the more difficult breeds to sex.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by