My silkie question was answered- never mind!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChickensAreSweet, Jan 26, 2011.

1. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have three silkies that I hatched from eggs- they are very likely siblings. One is female, and the other two are males. They are about 2 months old.

They have grown up together. Do I NEED to add some more females? They are in a dog kennel with a coop inside of that. I am about to remove the two bantam salmon faverolle pullets that are living with them.

Please- silkie roosters are different from other breeds. Please don't give me an answer based on your experience with other breeds. Silkie roos are famous for getting along with one another.

Thank you!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  2. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    If it were me, I would get a couple more females. [​IMG]

3. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    I feel sorry for the 1 hen. She needs some friends so that the boys have other to share the love. I try have no less than 3 or 4 hens per Roo.

4. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    The boys should get along fine if you raise them together but that poor girl is going to get
    wore out!!! For sure get some more girls!!

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    This thread is not about silkies but other breeds. I think it might prove interesting reading for you, as least as far as the overmating perspective.

Breeders managing roosters
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=250327

The other potential problem you may have is the roosters fighting. Often roosters raised together will settle their dominance issues at a fairly young age and will learn to get along. This does not always happen. Sometimes they fight to the death.

No one can tell you what will happen with your specific chickens. They have different personalities and are kept in different conditions. The more space they have, the less likely you are to have problems. I can't tell you if you will have a problem with them or not. The more roosters you have, the more likely you are to have problems. That's why I usually recommend keeping as few roosters as possible to meet your goals.

Good luck!

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Temperment is an inherited trait. Not all silkies are mellow little fuzz balls. If these roosters come from mellow stock, they MAY get along. Regardless of whether they do or not, 2 roosters to 1 hen will result in abuse of the hen.

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Ok, thanks everyone! What I hear you all saying is:

A roo is a roo is a roo. More girls needed then! For now I will leave the two BSF pullets in with them.

Thank you again! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by