My Silkie roo (about 1 yr old) didn't crow this morning--could this be a sign of illness?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MaryZoe, Jun 27, 2016.

1. MaryZoe

MaryZoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2016
    Naples, FL
    I put my 8 4-week old chicks outside by my established chicken coop just yesterday (2 hens and Mussolini, my Silkie roo). The older chickens had seen the chicks often, as I allowed the older chickens to visit the chicks through their brooder cage when they lived in my garage. But last night was the first time the chicks were right by the side of the chicken coop. And this morning Mussolini didn't crow. Could this be due to the newness of the chicks in his territory, or is it more likely due to illness? He looks and acts okay other than the fact that he is so quiet today. Has anyone else had rooster who was quiet for a day or so?

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

my roo doesn't always crow. i think that if it continues then you should be worried otherwise it's fine

3. MaryZoe

MaryZoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2016
    Naples, FL
    Thanks. I'm glad to say that he was back to his musical self this morning. But he didn't crow one time all day yesterday. I think the new chicks had him out of sorts. We know we have a couple cockerels among them. I guess Mussolini could sense the future competition. ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by