1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Silkie Roo's top hard beak is coming off!! Please, give advice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickencrazylady, Oct 17, 2011.

1. chickencrazylady

chickencrazylady Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2011
    Help me if you can!! I just noticed that the hard top beak of my Silkie roos is sparating and I don't know if I should be concerned. I just had to kill some rooster over at my place this past weekend and I know that my chickens were upset well locked in the coop for 2 days. I
    I got a good look today and I would almost say that maybe Silkie had a flying fit and flew beak first into the wall of his coop!
    He still is eating well and drinking and still the head of the clan. I will try and get my hubby to take a pic of this and get it posted, I am very worried, as I have raised him by hand and Silkie-boy is my baby, I would cry alot if he had to be put down!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  2. chickencrazylady

Jul 29, 2011
    Sideview pic of my Slkie-boy, you can see where his beak is lifting up and he had food stuck underneath the tip.
    I am very scared and concerned for him, any advice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really love this Roo, he is my first!!!!

3. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    That is very odd... I have never seen something like this before.... Is it almost coming off each day? Like does it slid off even more each day? Or is it kinda like a hang-nail??

4. chickencrazylady

Jul 29, 2011
    I just noticed this this early morning well feeding him in his run. In other pics I have you can see an fracture near the tip of the beak. I just threw some feed on the ground and he can still pick food up and drink water. I will continue to monitor him for the next few days and see what happens, I do have 2 14 week old rooster in the same run with Silkie-boy and the girls.

5. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    Is it bleeding??

6. chickencrazylady

Jul 29, 2011
    There is no bleeding. He seems fine, I am concerned that my other 2 roos are going to pick up on his injury and try and do him in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by