My silkie rooster has eye worm..

zombieduck

In the Brooder
May 25, 2017
and I need to know how much Vetrx to add to add to how much water and how many drops to administer? Thanks! Unfortunately I have to get it through the mail so it will be a while before I can help the poor guy :(

And as a side note I have seen that you're supposed to put some of the solution on the cleft of the chicken's mouth but I've seen people on here talking about dropping it directly into the chicken's eye which would be easier and work better (I would think).

I've just noticed there's a bad smell too..

Hi @zombieduck

Can you post a clearer photo?
Can you take him to a vet?
Also can you give a hint about your location in the world - that is helpful as well:)

It's hard to see in the photo - but it looks like your chicken has crusty yellow pus in the eye along with facial swelling. Have you noticed mucous from the nostrils, sneezing, coughing as well?

You also mention there is a bad smell - is that coming from the discharge from the eyes/face?

I am inclined with the swelling, eye crust and bad smell you are dealing with a respiratory disease like Infectious Coryza instead of eye worms. Flush the eye and remove any pus that you see. Apply some Vetericyn Eye Gel or Terraymycin eye ointment. If it's infection due to respiratory illness, he may need antibiotics as well, if you have a vet that can help you that would be good.

If it is eye worms, you should be able to see worms in the eyes. See the link that @coach723 gave you - it has some good info on worms.

I really don't think this is eyeworm, but probably MG or another bacterial infection. Go to the top of this page under search forums and read the thread "Finally Swollen Eye Sinus Lump Cure Treatment." It has some very good info about cleaning out the infection, how to treat it, and what causes it. Eyeworm would be in both eyes, and chickens with eyeworm in tropical areas where it is more common, may eventually scratch their eyes so badly that they go blind. VetRx is an herbal oil treatment, but you may need some antibiotics and antibiotic eye drops.

At this point, since this has been going on for so long, I would get some veterycin eye wash or sterile saline and clean out that eye really good and try to get a look at what is going on. Remove any pus or debris. If there is pus it will look cheesy rather than runny. If you have eye worm you should be able to see it. It's also possible that it is just really infected. Maybe got something foreign lodged in there. I'm assuming it's just the one eye as you haven't said they both look like that? I would think eyeworm would likely affect both eyes, but that's an assumption on my part. If there is infection then the terramycin eye ointment will help. I really think you need to take a good look before you treat for something you aren't sure of. If you are squeamish about it, see if you can find someone to help you who is less so.

How do you know it has eye worms which from my readings is rare and occurs in tropical regions. Could you share a picture?

Back
Top Bottom