1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Silkie rooster just can't...do it

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by suebee, Dec 11, 2011.

1. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    He's almost 9 months old but still can't manage to mate right. He started out at 7 months mounting backwards, which was funny as heck. Now at 9 months he's still not getting it right. He'll do sideways, offways, upways, anyways but the RIGHT WAYS! He's got lots of hens to "practice" with but still can't get it right! I feel so stupid leaning down to watch saying "a little to the left...Nooooo, now a little to the right...Now down a little, NO!...up a tad....so on, so on.
    [​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Been there, done that. Some roos do eventually get it right. Others are idiots their whole lives. I have a little 1/2 lb. roo right now that tries his darndest to mate my 8 & 9 lb. brahma hens. When he pulls a sneak attack the girls have learned to just lean forward; sends him tumbling over their heads. [​IMG]

3. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Quote:Been there, done that. Some roos do eventually get it right. Others are idiots their whole lives. I have a little 1/2 lb. roo right now that tries his darndest to mate my 8 & 9 lb. brahma hens. When he pulls a sneak attack the girls have learned to just lean forward; sends him tumbling over their heads. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. ZombieChickens

ZombieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Seriously? I live in a development and have all hens and NO experience with roosters. But this post TOTALLY made my crappy day just a *little* bit better. Good luck with the boy.... [​IMG]

5. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Shoot, he did a hen backwards again. Kinda reminds me of "There's Something about Mary". [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  6. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    [​IMG]

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Mine eventually figure it out.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Maybe try some 'how to' videos? [​IMG]

9. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    Quote:[​IMG] ...he's a silkie, so you may need to trim the fluff around his eyes so he can see the video first!

10. Silkie-Feet

Silkie-Feet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Ky, Kentucky
    Maybe you can get another rooster, to show him "how it's done!" lol. this post is Hilarius. i have never had to deal with this thank goodness. but i have always had a mature rooster with the juvenile breeders to keep them from becoming to feisty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by