My Silkie rooster thinks he's a guinea fowl! And mates guineas!

gguineasfamily

Songster
Jan 23, 2013
Brisbane, QLD Australia
My Silkie rooster thinks he's a guinea fowl. His favourite 'hen' is a male guinea fowl called Dawn. Dawn hates being mated but Twinkles the rooster will mate him at any chance he gets. We bought Twinkles two Silkie bantam hens. He goes through phases and sometimes will mate one hen three times in a day. He will mate her back to front. Then he will go without mating either hen for weeks and mate Dawn instead.

Do you know how to show Twinkles that Dawn is a MALE and Twinkles is a chicken and that he should mate his hens?

I would really like fertile eggs.

Thanks! ;)

I must admit I had a bit of a chuckle at your post. Poor Dawn. And poor hens who are getting mated back to front!
lau.gif

I have no idea how to explain the facts of life to Twinkles. The only thing I can suggest is putting Twinkles and the hens into one pen, and Dawn in another pen with some female guinea fowls for company.

I guess your post is just proof positive of the old saying - The heart wants what the heart wants. And Twinkle's heart wants Dawn!
love.gif

Good luck!

- Krista

A bit more info: Dawn walks on his knees and we got a Silkie 'hen' for him. The 'hen' turned out to be Twinkles. Twinkles has grown up with Dawn. And because Dawn walks on his knees and can't do mating I guess Twinkles thinks he's a girl. Dawn has a friend called Sunrise and most of the time they're in the back where Twinkles doesn't tend to go. But when they're all in the front Twinkles rushes to mate Dawn.

Back
Top Bottom