1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my silkie roosters are fighting??

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by silly silkies, Dec 3, 2016.

1. silly silkies

silly silkies Just Hatched

Dec 3, 2016
    guys my silkie roosters are fighting i have no idea what to do!! my white one, snowball has blood on his head from my other chicken melvine. they have been together since they have been little. i put a pen up in the coop to seperate them so meliven is in a tiny pen for the night. but its rude making him stay in a pen all night. HELP!!![​IMG]

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'm sorry, it is not rude to make one stay in a pen overnight. Rude is much better than allowing them to kill each other - which is not uncommon among roosters kept together. Without knowing more - if they seriously battle you need to keep them separately all the time or rehome one of them. Each rooster can handle 10 hens, if you have 20 hens, you could split them up into two separate flocks.

Do you have any hens at all? Males raised together alone do well till their hormones kick in, and then it's each roo for himself.

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Drumstick left you some good advice on rehoming one of them if their battles continue. Some roosters do live together quite harmoniously in flocks but I'm afraid some just don't. It all depends on the individual birds, how your set up is, ie how much room do they have? How many hens do you have?

Good luck with your birds in the future and I hope you can find a solution.
    Enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hello and welcome to BYC. Great advice above, so I'll just say hi.

Best wishes
    CT

5. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Thanks for joining us, hope the rooster issue works out soon!

6. silly silkies

Dec 3, 2016
    hey i dont have any hens but i have 2 ducks a girl and a boy kept with the roosters the boy donald keeps the roosters from fighting and dresses up the wounds! they are silkies (the roosters) and the roosters are supposed to be good together thanks for ideas!!

7. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    I am sorry about your roosters! Here is some info I hope will help.

Here is some info I read once-

"5 Rules for keeping multiple roosters in your flock:

1. Have plenty of hens for each rooster
    If you only have a flock of five or seven birds, you don’t want two (or more!) of them to be roosters. Generally—and especially when you want to keep multiple roosters—there should be 10 or 12 hens for each male in your flock. . .
    2. Have plenty of space in your run. With multiple roosters you will need more than the bare minimum of space. You’ll want to double or even triple the minimum space per bird for your flock. . .
    3. If you have neither plenty of hens nor plenty of space, you can keep multiple roosters together by having NO hens. This is an arrangement you might have, for example, if you keep a flock of roosters for exhibition (rather than having a flock of hens for the purpose of laying). With no hens to compete for, multiple roosters often live together in relative peace. . .
    4. Raise them together in your flock. Roosters who are raised together establish a pecking order between them as they are growing up. Because they have already established that order, there is less incentive to fight when they are older and more likely to hurt one another by sparring.
    5. Some roosters are too aggressive to get along with other roosters, no matter how ideal the conditions are. There are some breeds that tend to produce very aggressive roosters that are prone to fighting amongst one another,. . ."

I really hope this helps! [​IMG]

8. silly silkies

Dec 3, 2016
    thanks everyone for giving me great ideas!! i went down to the coop today and every thing is well. no blood nothing they were standing next to each other. i think my roosters go through stages when they go nuts and kick each others butts!! [​IMG] but i think the ducks have helped with the fighting (exspecially the drake)

9. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to the wonderful world of Backyard Chickens! I hope you will make yourself at home here and enjoy it as much as I have! :frow

10. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by