My silkie screwed up my old english chickens crow /:

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TucsonAZ, Dec 10, 2011.

1. TucsonAZ

TucsonAZ Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2011
    Is this even possible? My little bantam oe used to have an amazingly loud, beautiful crow, the silkie on the other hand, not so much, super sad and pathetic in fact. The other day I hear this pathetic gurgled crowing and assume it's the silkie only to see my poor oe making this noise.

So, two questions, first, is it common for silkies to have sorry crows and second, did my oe start doing this as learned behavior?

2. Cluckin'Crazy4them

Cluckin'Crazy4them Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2011
    NW Oregon
    [​IMG] I don't know lick about silkies other than they are cute [​IMG] But I have Two thoughts. Gurgled is an interesting word. Could there be an injury?
    And I have a theory that crowing has something to do with display of dominance and ownership with roos that are apart of the same flock... ? Maybe just my inexperienced eye [​IMG]
    I am eager to hear other responses [​IMG]
    I would love to hear the crowing you're talking about, too.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    It took my Sookie roo a while to perfect his crow. That being said, since your OE used to have a normal, beautiful crow I'd be worried somethings going on. I would check him over for injuries and listen for respiratory issues. You could also check him for gapeworm (usually if they have it, they'll adjust their crops or "yawn" alot). The check for them you swab his throat with a q-tip and look for blood spots. I think its more likely he's suffered an injury or has the sniffles. Good luck!

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My too roos mimic each other.

The crows are identical and much different from the crows of other roos I've had.

I'm thinking they are mimicking the roos crows they here in the neighborhood to the south, albeit they are a quarter mile away.

5. TucsonAZ

TucsonAZ Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2011
    Ahhhh, sometimes they seem a little "stuffy" but it wasn't something I worried about as it went away after a couple days and from what I've seen it's only those two roos.

6. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    My Silkie roo has the loudest, most robust crow of them all. He puts the Cochin and the Polish roos to shame!

7. 2hot2chicken

2hot2chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Beaverton
    I just rehomed a lil silkie roo that was about 5 months old and had been crowing for a couple months. His crow started out sounding like a party blower but by the time he left it was the most horrable screachy sounding attemp at a crow I had ever heard! And to make it worse he crowed all day long for no reason!!!!

My DD's new silkie roo is a lil older and has a very pretty quiet crow and only does it maybe a couple times first thing in the morning when I open the coop.

Someone a block over has a roo that was crowing all day everyday up until I got the last roo. They neighbors roo crowed everytime mine did!

With new roo neighbor's roo only crows once in a while.

Maybe dominance from that far away???? Who knows [​IMG] ...... Chickens do the darndest things! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by