My silkie show bird winners! And is it too early to breed?

Oct 16, 2017
North Carolina
I have both a question, and a exciting news!

So, in early June I got one week old black Silkie chicks as show birds I entered them in our state fair, and they both won first place!!! I have a pulley named Willow, and a Cockrel named Juniper! They are almost four months old, on Halloween they will be officially 4 months old!!!!!!

I was also wondering if I bred them in the early spring or almost spring(maybe February or March) would it be to early if the hen is laying? I read in one of Gail Damrow's books that the earliest age you can breed is 7 months old, but the hen has to be laying for 3 weeks beforeally getting eggs to hatch. Do your think that if Willow is 7 months old and has been laying, and I know her eggs are fertilized, since she will be 7 months old in the end of January, so you think that is too early to collect her eggs for hatching in February or March? Should I wait until April of May? They were both Born on May 31st
20171017_183636_1508280128555.jpg

Congrats on winning 1st place with your Silkies :thumbsup
Thank you!!!

The cock is starting to show mating behavior already. Two days ago he tried to mount the hen, and he also was doing the mating dance. I think I need to keep my Silkies seperate frommy the other chuckens permanently instead of temporary, because he is aggressivery towards most of our other hens, except for our Silkies hen.

She's a Silkie? She'll go broody. I think it's in their breed contract, isn't it. All Silkies are required to go forth and see how many chicks she can hatch in her life time.

I think it's the same for my OEGB girls only somebody forgot to sign the contract.:lau

I'm hoping she'l go broody, and although both silks are healthy, my hen is a little smaller than she should be.. if she does go broody, I'll put a few test eggs first, then the fertilized eggs. Either way, our Astrolorpe goes broody every year, and she should go broody around Feburary/March, and she is a great broody, so I'm going to put eggs
under her definitely. I'm really excited to hatch silkies! My mom has a Co worker who recently got some frizzles, and we are going to trade a few silkies chick's for some frizzles!!!!

Back
Top Bottom