My silkie with small hair

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by zara30, Feb 5, 2013.

1. zara30

zara30 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2012
    [​IMG]

Tell me if this pure silkie or no this is 3months old bought from my friends

2. Arica

Arica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2012
    Spokane Washington
    Yes she Is pure silkie

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    yes. why do you think they are not

4. Je33ieg

Je33ieg Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2012
    Clemson, SC
    looks pure silkie to me. silkies go through an awkward teenage phase between 1 month old and about 5 months old. to the point where you start to pray that they grow up to be pretty chickens haha they look perfectly normaly for a 3 month old silkie. if it helps, look at this ugly booger:

[​IMG]

not the greatest pic, but he's 3 months old as well.

5. zara30

zara30 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2012
    can i shave their hair ?

it will grow ?

6. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    No that would be a bad idea, mainly because they are feathers not hair and as such there will be some new ones with blood supply still to them that could bleed if you shaved them off.
    Use a pair of scissors instead and just keep a look out for any new pin (hard short and not fully formed) feathers and try not to cut those or they bleed.

Yes they will grow back when the bird molts. It looses its feathers and grows new ones each year so eventually the trimmed ones fall out and grow back long again.

7. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Why would you want to shave them? [​IMG]

8. ESofVA

ESofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    I have a I have a 4 1/2 mo red Silkie and its "top knot" feathers look like that too. I first thought they were dirty and stuck together from all of the rain/muddy sand. Yesterdar I washed the feathers on its head then dried them with a hair dryer! LOL! (I didn't want it to we wet and put it back outside!) I brushed it out with a nail brush ...I thought at that point I thought that its feathers just had the outside layer not come off as soon as they should. as they were growing. It helped the look of them some but not a lot. It still looks just ugly. It has no beard, top feathers look like %$#* and I decided to sell it. I am glad there is still hope! Although it has no beard, it is the only red one I have...so maybe I will keep it a while to see!!

9. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    Shave a chicken?! [​IMG]

Like appps said, they are feathers, not hairs, so you can't shave. The bird would probably end up bleeding to death, if your shaver doesn't brake on all the shafts first.

10. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I like to tell people I shaved my Naked Neck chickens.

Watch their eyes boggle.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by