My Silkie won't stop being broody ... what the heck?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hens4Fun, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Hens4Fun

Hens4Fun Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Sacramento, California
    [​IMG] Ok... am tired of this little hen. She has been sitting in a box for over TWO months now [​IMG]. Probably 10 weeks now. I never see her out eating or drinking unless I force her out of the box. I've tried putting her in the run in a section she cannot get back to the boxes, but she paces and paces and paces for days .... and the minute I let her out of the seperated area she goes straaaaaaight back to her nesting box.

How LONG do these silkies stay broody? Is there any hope!?

2. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    is there any eggs in the nest?

3. Hens4Fun

Nov 18, 2009
    Sacramento, California
    [​IMG] nope no eggs .. didn't want to encourage her.

4. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    meh. I have no idea. Tryin' to think. We had to throw out eggs that my hen was setting on not to long ago (She had set on them for over a month) and she kept going back to her EMPTY nest box and setting on nothing. and she stayed like that for a while. [​IMG]
    and even after that she kept doing the 'broody hen cluck' for a while after that to!

maybe she just wants to be a mom reeaaally bad?

5. PoultryPeeps

PoultryPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2009
    Wasilla, Alaska
    To break a hen of her broodiness, just put her in a plain wire pen with no bedding, just food and water. Keep the pen in sight of the rest of the flock. The wire pen should also be elevated (put it up on blocks or something) so the air can get underneath to her bottom side. Leave her for 3 or 4 days, then put her back in with the flock (on the roost) at night. I have done this several times and it works great!
    Good luck! [​IMG]

6. Shiloh Acres

Shiloh Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Hehe, I have had silkies and other bantams broody for months. I had one little banty that was trying to hatch rocks. Another that would steal eggs.

Good luck with her. The good thing is -- if you want to hatch eggs, you don't need an incubator! [​IMG]

7. LadyinRed

LadyinRed Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2009
    One thing about putting them in a wire cage is bring her in the house if you can. I did it to one of my silkies in my coop and she paced till she made her face bloody from bumping into the bars. If she cannot see an area she knows she wont be as upset to get to her nest. It only took three days in the house in a dog crate to make ours stop being broody for a few months.

8. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Sometimes it is best to just let them hatch a few eggs....and chicks are SO delightful.

Sandie

9. Hens4Fun

Nov 18, 2009
    Sacramento, California
    Thanks everyone! Gosh I guess I am mostly surprised that 10 weeks and counting doesn't seemto surprise anyone. I've had broody hens, but never even close to this length of time. I'll try your ideas...except bring her in the house.... OH my husband would have a fit with that [​IMG] I forgot to mention, but I even tried putting ice packs under her, but she just sat on the ice packs until they melted!! One determined hen. But so useless when broody unless you want chicks. I don't think I'll ever get silkies again...this is just so extreme.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by