1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Silkies are HELPING me!!! No freezing eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by msgenie516, Jan 17, 2009.

1. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

With this awfully cold weather (I think it was something like 4 degrees this morning), I have been worrying about frozen eggs. So I am going out as often as I can to gather them up and check on the chickens. I’m not sure what to do, but I haven’t let them out of the coops, as I feel they will be a bit warmer in a smaller, enclosed area. Tonight, hubby is coming home with some heat lamps, so that should help. I have left some lights on for them all along, but they aren’t heat lamps.

But, in the coop where I keep my Silkies, I don’t think I have to worry about the frozen eggs at all! Three out of seven are broody and they are keeping themselves busy gathering everyone else’s eggs and sitting on them. So I doubt those eggs will ever freeze! This may be a good solution to avoid frozen eggs! If your hens will get along with some Silkies, it might not be a bad idea to add a few to your flock come spring so they will be ready to set by next winter. Out of my seven Silkie hens, there are usually at least two or three that are broody at any given time. I know it sounds a little crazy, but it’s working for me!

I even have some Leghorns with the Silkies (I did add them when they were only about 3 months old) and they have been together since June with no problems. I also added a young EE later on who began laying in November (gorgeous green eggs) and she gets on with the Silkies, also.

I hope everyone is faring well with this dreadful cold snap and that it will be over soon! Genie

2. sis

sis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    PA
    My silkies will be ready for next winter to keep the eggs from freezing,
    but what about this week? what can I do? Are any of these cracked frozen eggs salvagable?

3. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Quote:I haven't had any that froze yet, but I believe you can just put them in a dish in the refrigerator to thaw and cook them up as soon as possible for scrambled eggs, maybe even fried eggs are possible. I wouldn't take the chance of making anything with them that is a little "fussy", such as a meringue. Good luck! Genie

4. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    I don't know if I would use the cracked ones...but if they are just frozen and not yet cracked they should be fine thawed out in the fridge. (At least I ate mine, and I seem to be ok...alright, that's debatable) [​IMG]

5. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Quote:Hi,

This might be a stupid question (probably is), but how do you know if they are frozen if they are not cracked?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by