My Silkies finally went broody cute pic with some questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cat1994, Feb 17, 2012.

1. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    I have been waiting for what feels like forever for at least one of my Silkie hens to go broody so I could set some Call duck eggs under her. Well now that my Calls aren't laying anymore they are both broody! I’m not really sure which one went broody first but here I am now with two girls sitting. The thing that gets me is that they are using the same nest lol it is so cute. The nest box is really a nesting box for rabbits so it is very long but it works great, they both fit nicely. But I was wondering if it would be ok to put some real eggs under them with them in the same nest or do you think I need to move one to another nest before I let them hatch any eggs out? I was thinking I could just let them both stay put and each hatch their own brood out of the same nest box, do you think that would work? Thanks for any advice! Oh and I’m looking for some Silver Laced Wyandotte eggs to put under these girls so if any one has any available pleas let me know. Thanks
    Here is a pic
    see how thay both can sit nicely in the same nest lol so cute
    [​IMG]

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Looks like they're nice and comfy.

They can certainly brood in the same nest, BUT just understand that they will steal each other's eggs.

If one hen gets off the nest to go relieve herself, the other hen will steal those eggs and may end up sitting on way too many eggs to comfortably brood.

So it's always best to allow them to have their own nest IMO.

[​IMG]

3. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    So I just ordered 12 Silver Laced Wyandotte fertile hatching eggs to put under these two girls. I’m so excited! This is the first time I have ever ordered eggs from online, I hope all goes well. Wish me luck lol

4. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    SLW's are beautiful birds.

Good luck and do post pics of the new babies!!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by