My Silkie's first eggs!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JD, Nov 23, 2009.

1. JD

JD Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    Tennessee
    [​IMG] I'm so proud, I want to start my bator again. I know they are fertile. Studmuffin is the father and is kept with the girls. She layed one of these eggs yesterday and we didn't see them until today. Hopefully she'll lay some more this week. Is it safe to try to incubate these first eggs? She is not sitting or going broody right now. She was off the eggs when my hubby closed them up this evening.

Thanks,
    Jodi

[​IMG]

This is the father
    [​IMG]

These are my girls and I don't know which one laid these eggs.
    [​IMG]

2. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    [​IMG] Congrats! They are so cute!!!

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    [​IMG] congrats!! I dont know if its safe but I do know the eggs get a little bigger in the following weeks-giving more room for the chicks to grow and move around where they need to to pip-Id wait a few weeks then try:) IMO [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  4. vkp23

vkp23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    My house
    I have my girls first eggs in the bator right now. They are due to hatch between tomorrow and Thursday. They have done so well and are rocking a rolling!

5. JD

Sep 10, 2008
    Tennessee
    Thanks to everyone's reply. That sounds great vkp23. It gives me a little hope. I've had the two girls for almost 6 mo and one of them I had the wry neck and cured her per instructions here on BYC and she is doing great. I got Studmuffin at the fair in Sept. He was a blue ribbon winner and couldn't resist him, he is so beutiful. I kept in quaranteen for a little over a month and when I let him in with them he just went wild. He's proud of his girls as you see. Just not sure about the one that has the wryneck if it a rooster or not but they get along fine. I have seen him mount the other one several times but don't know if anything is happening between them. I'm going to wait a week and see how many eggs I get and break one open to see if it is fertile. If not I'm sure going to cut back a few fuzzy butt feathers and go from there. I'm so wanting to raise Silkies. I do have the 2 mo old little red as I call it but don't know his sex yet and he has a small case of scissor beak and doesn't look like it is getting any worse. Would red and the white be able to mate and come out with pretty coloring? Or would that be a disaster. I don't know much about mating different colors at all. Well anyway enough of the jabber. Just looking for some insite on this.

Thanks for all your help,
    Jodi

Here is my little red I hatched 2mo ago
    [​IMG]

6. JD

Sep 10, 2008
    Tennessee
    Well I have 4 eggs under my broody Black Tail bantam and on day 6 and hoping they are fertile. I will candle on day 10. Wish me luck!

7. vkp23

vkp23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    My house
    I meant to tell you. Out of my three eggs and I had one hatch just fine. One egg was a double yolk and the odds were stack against it that it wouldn't make it any way. It quit early on. The other made it to hatch but he had a crack in him from day one and him membranes were too dry and he died in the shell. But had those things not been wrong with them they would have been fine. Here is my little guy from my first pullet egg. Sorry the pic sucks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. JD

Sep 10, 2008
    Tennessee
    Sure is a cutie. What kind is it? Yeah I've got 42 chicken in all. But new with the Silkies. I don't even know if they are fertile or not, guess I will know soon. I brought the broody banty in and put her in a ferret cage so I could keep an eye on her. I will probably keep the babies in the house also. I was not too keen on trying the bator with these anyway and the banty goes broody every other month. She wants babies so bad. I have three month old babies that she hatch. They were a mix of white leghorn and and a mixed asiatic white braham w/rir also. All three look like hens so far. Have you bred and hatch any Silkies yet? I sure would like some pointers on that if my eggs are not fertile.

9. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    These are the ones I just hatched from my sikies first eggs. I had 10 eggs and got 3 babies. They are doing just fine.

[​IMG]

I'm getting ready to try a few more of them with some shipped eggs I have comming.

10. JD

Sep 10, 2008
    Tennessee
    Did you have to trim the Silkies back end? I read somewhere and can't find it now on doing that in breeding. Is that really necessary? They sure are pretty. Mine should be white of course. I would like to get some more of different colors in the spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by