My silkies have a cold!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by luvanimals3, Feb 10, 2009.

1. luvanimals3

luvanimals3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Georgia
    I bought some new silkies and they seem to have a cold of some sort. Their only symptom is nasal discharge. They are eating and acting normal. I have given them two rounds of antibiotics and it hasnt seemed to really work. Any suggestions? I heard silkies are known for being sick is this true?

2. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Apple cider vinegar. about a tsp to a gallon of water and a couple cloves of garlic in it. Someone shared this with me on BYC and I was sceptical and it worked!

3. luvanimals3

Feb 8, 2009
    Georgia
    awesome I will definetly try that!THANKS![​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Keep them separate from your other birds. They could be carriers of a disease that could wipe out your entire flock. Ask Gumpsgirl: she had this happen last summer and it was devastating.

See the sticky thread under "Managing your flock", by Speckledhen.

You may wish to search for "nasal discharge" on BYC to see what others have experienced.

5. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    what antibiotic did you give?

6. luvanimals3

Feb 8, 2009
    Georgia
    Terramycin. And I did make sure it was for chickens also!

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Please research the site for these symptoms. I am so weary of people being sold sick birds! Antibiotics will do nothing for a virus. And Terramycin is very weak, so it may not do anything anyway, depending on what they have. Please do a search on chicken diseases and what "carrier" means.

8. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
  9. luvanimals3

Feb 8, 2009
    Georgia
    Quote:Could their symptoms be weather related? I live in Ga and it warmed up to about seventy degrees the past few days it was like they never had any nasal discharge.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You know, I'd check the ammonia levels in your coop. That will cause clear nasal discharge if it's too intense.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by