My Silkies MIGHT finally be arriving Friday

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lil'ChickFarm, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Lil'ChickFarm

Lil'ChickFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    After placing an order with Cackle hatchery WEEKS ago and then when they were due, they did not ship.. They called and told me that the heat was affecting breeding and that the eggs were infertile. They rescheduled for Aug. 10th ship date. Then I asked them how hot it was there "NOW", ? They said 106 degrees.
    THere was no guarantee then that I would get babies on Aug. 12th.
    So I looked around and found a good special at Ideal Poultry and they were pretty much certain that I would get them. So I ended up with an order of 25 for the same price as my 15 was at Cackle.
    THen I called a couple days later and added in three Cochins.
    I haven't heard anything today that they did NOT ship, so I REALLY REALLY hope that they DID ship today and by Friday I will be a new mommy again.

My two, 2.5 month old mixed RIR/EE girls are a blast and my two Wyandott pullets are well integrated in with them now. My coop is almost complete. I love going out every morning to greet them and let them out to free range the back yard.
    THey are more fun then the movies.
    I only plan to keep two or three silkies but they required I order 25, so I hope there are some local farmers that would like some good deal silkies. [​IMG]

Is anyone else expecting chickies on Friday from Ideal??

2. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Lil'ChickFarm :

After placing an order with Cackle hatchery WEEKS ago and then when they were due, they did not ship.. They called and told me that the heat was affecting breeding and that the eggs were infertile. They rescheduled for Aug. 10th ship date. Then I asked them how hot it was there "NOW", ? They said 106 degrees.
    THere was no guarantee then that I would get babies on Aug. 12th.
    So I looked around and found a good special at Ideal Poultry and they were pretty much certain that I would get them. So I ended up with an order of 25 for the same price as my 15 was at Cackle.
    THen I called a couple days later and added in three Cochins.
    I haven't heard anything today that they did NOT ship, so I REALLY REALLY hope that they DID ship today and by Friday I will be a new mommy again.

My two, 2.5 month old mixed RIR/EE girls are a blast and my two Wyandott pullets are well integrated in with them now. My coop is almost complete. I love going out every morning to greet them and let them out to free range the back yard.
    THey are more fun then the movies.
    I only plan to keep two or three silkies but they required I order 25, so I hope there are some local farmers that would like some good deal silkies. [​IMG]

Is anyone else expecting chickies on Friday from Ideal??

Yep. This was my first and final time dealing with Ideal.
    They had messed the order up then changed the prices at the last minute after they got my order.
    They resent the Keets I were spose to get today and 3 Replacement Lavendar Keets because I had some Lavendars die last week.

To be honest Ideal doesn't have good Silkies at all. They barely even have a crest and most don't have a beard. I've ordered silkies from Cackle and I was suprised to find that thay all had a very decent crest and beard on them.
    Are you sure you haven't checked your Junk/Spam Folder?? Ideal shipped out my keets today and I got like 10 E-mails saying "You're Poultry has been Shipped!"​

3. Lil'ChickFarm

Jun 27, 2011
    OH NO!! tHAT IS NOT GOOD NEWS AT ALL!!!
    I didn't even think to ask them about them like that.
    I didn't get any emails, nor in my spam.
    I ordered by phone. I wonder if that is why?
    I will be sad if they are not good silkies. I will have to sell them all and start all over. I want really nice silkies.
    I ordered three black Cochins too. My goodness, I read good feedback for them on this forum. I thought it was a good idea. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. StevenW.

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Lil'ChickFarm :

OH NO!! tHAT IS NOT GOOD NEWS AT ALL!!!
    I didn't even think to ask them about them like that.
    I didn't get any emails, nor in my spam.
    I ordered by phone. I wonder if that is why?
    I will be sad if they are not good silkies. I will have to sell them all and start all over. I want really nice silkies.
    I ordered three black Cochins too. My goodness, I read good feedback for them on this forum. I thought it was a good idea. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Then they should have called you then! I ordered through the mail and left my E-mail and Phone Number and they used the E-mail instead of the Phone. [​IMG]
    Where are you located? I bet there might be a silkie breeder close to you. [​IMG]
    Their Cochins aren't too bad but aren't the best. They are great broodies none the less. [​IMG]

5. Lil'ChickFarm

Jun 27, 2011
    Quote:Then they should have called you then! I ordered through the mail and left my E-mail and Phone Number and they used the E-mail instead of the Phone. [​IMG]
    Where are you located? I bet there might be a silkie breeder close to you. [​IMG]
    Their Cochins aren't too bad but aren't the best. They are great broodies none the less. [​IMG]

Well it is kind of late now. I will have to wait and see if they are nice ones or not.
    I will call them tomorrow.
    I checked my area all over for them and none close to me that I could find.
    I have seen "nakie" silkies and that is not what I am looking for. So oh well, will wait and see.
    I don't think I would know what a good Cochin was or not.

6. StevenW.

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Lil'ChickFarm :

Quote:Then they should have called you then! I ordered through the mail and left my E-mail and Phone Number and they used the E-mail instead of the Phone. [​IMG]

Well it is kind of late now. I will have to wait and see if they are nice ones or not.
    I have seen "nakie" silkies and that is not what I am looking for. So oh well, will wait and see.
    I don't think I would know what a good Cochin was or not.​

Yep. I would definately call them tomorrow.
    Nakie Silkies?? Hmm that sounds just plain weird! [​IMG]
    A good cochin would be almost like a basketball when a adult. Completely round. [​IMG]

7. Lil'ChickFarm

Jun 27, 2011
    Quote:Well it is kind of late now. I will have to wait and see if they are nice ones or not.
    I don't think I would know what a good Cochin was or not.

Yep. I would definately call them tomorrow.
    A good cochin would be almost like a basketball when a adult. Completely round. [​IMG]

How do I tell when it is a chick if it is a nice one or not?

8. StevenW.

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Lil'ChickFarm :

Quote:Yep. I would definately call them tomorrow.

How do I tell when it is a chick if it is a nice one or not?​

The temperment has nothing to do with that. [​IMG]
    I have actually found that the birds that aren't even close to being Show Quality are sweet hearts.

9. Lil'ChickFarm

Jun 27, 2011
    Quote:How do I tell when it is a chick if it is a nice one or not?

The temperment has nothing to do with that. [​IMG]
    I have actually found that the birds that aren't even close to being Show Quality are sweet hearts.

LOl, I did not mean temperment. I meant "NICE" as in going to look good, lol.......[​IMG]
    Guess what though. I woke up to my son telling me, MOM YOUR BIRDS ARE HERE!!!
    So I have another story to tell pretty soon. With pictures. It might take me a while. I still haven't fully been able to count them all. Not even sure I dunked all 28 mouths in the water, hehe

10. StevenW.

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Lil'ChickFarm :

Quote:The temperment has nothing to do with that. [​IMG]

LOl, I did not mean temperment. I meant "NICE" as in going to look good, lol.......[​IMG]
    Guess what though. I woke up to my son telling me, MOM YOUR BIRDS ARE HERE!!!
    So I have another story to tell pretty soon. With pictures. It might take me a while. I still haven't fully been able to count them all. Not even sure I dunked all 28 mouths in the water, hehe​

Lol I just woke up!
    That just ain't fare! I usually have to drive 10 miles away to the main PO because thats where they send the other mail out to the local PO's.
    All the times I have got chicks it was at night and I'm half asleep/half awake. Wish my chicks would come during the morning.. *Whine Whine Whine*
    Can't wait to see the pictures! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by