My silkies won't eat purina layena. How come?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by joan1708, Mar 18, 2012.

1. joan1708

joan1708 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    DFW - mid cities, Tx
    I got 3 silkies a week ago, reportedly about 6 mo old. They won't eat purina layena pellets. I have some in a bowl on the ground and some in a round hanging chick feeder at their chest level. They eat treats such as scratch and mealworms just fine. I've heard you shouldn't give them too many treats. Tonight I added water and a little cat food to the layena pellets to make a mash and they ate a little of that. Is this OK? Any suggestions!

I'm wondering if I should try chick starter. The guy I got them from had them with other adult birds full sized birds and he thought they were laying. No eggs for me and it's been a week. They scratch around in the run all day and otherwise seem OK, however I'm a novice at this.

[​IMG]

2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Was the person you got them from feeding them crumbles? If so, it is probably easiest to get a small bag of crumbles and slowly replace with pellets, or crush the pellets and slowly decrease the `chopping'.

Chooks absolutely hate anything they don't know. Takes some adjustment.

3. joan1708

May 14, 2011
    DFW - mid cities, Tx
    I showed him what I was going to feed them and he said it should be fine. But, I'm going to try your suggestion anyway. Thanks

4. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Yep, my silkies will only eat crumbles.

5. joan1708

May 14, 2011
    DFW - mid cities, Tx
    Is there a chance these chickens will starve themselves because they are unfamiliar with the feed?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  6. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Probably not (you are feeding them meal worms, etc.). But they're still adjusting to a new place and, if they've never been fed pellets before, new food. Just additional stress to interfere with egg laying. Try crumbles (got any starter, etc. sitting around?). Wean them off slowly or, as I mentioned, crush up pellets and toss with some damp meal worms (crusty worm treat) then cut back on the meal worms.

Our chooks have always had crumbles. Got a free bag of pellets three years ago (some contest). Chooks just stood around the food bowl growling and whining. Gave the pellets away.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  7. joan1708

May 14, 2011
    DFW - mid cities, Tx
    I got some crumbles for my chickens and they are eating it. I also got some chick start and they are eating that to. Thanks for the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by