My silkies won't roost?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by xmissjadie, Oct 18, 2011.

1. xmissjadie

xmissjadie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Eugene, Oregon
    I have 5 silkies living outside in the coop. One comes inside at night with her chicks. But none of them have ever roosted. I've had other breeds that always would roost. Is this a breed thing or are my girls weird? I've had silkies before and they've also never roosted. I've always wondered why not.[​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    How high are your roosts?

Most silkies can't fly. Roosts would need to be low enough that they could jump up onto them.

3. Christie Loves Silkies

Christie Loves Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Silkies normally sleep huddled in together on the floor.
    Its natural for them not to roost as they cant fly

4. xmissjadie

Mar 14, 2011
    Eugene, Oregon
    Quote:They're about 3 inches off the ground lol

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  5. xmissjadie

Mar 14, 2011
    Eugene, Oregon
    Quote:That's exactly what they do except two are huddled in one nest and three are in the other haha [​IMG]

6. Christie Loves Silkies

Christie Loves Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:That's exactly what they do except two are huddled in one nest and three are in the other haha [​IMG]

Mine roost but its not that high off the ground

7. ChickenGirl165

ChickenGirl165 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Melbourne
    I don't have silkies, I have red sex links but some of them dont roost. Roosts are better for there legs i learnt once> im not sure if there is a way to get them to roost though...

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    You expect an adorable, fluffy silkie to sit on a stick all night? Goodness! Owning silkies is very different than owning other chickens. Silkies demand certain features in their coop. Silk pillows are a must. Occasionally you'll run into a silkie who likes goose down in their pillow. Water must be flavored with lemon and they expect sunflower seeds every morning! Silkes are made to be spoiled!

9. xmissjadie

Mar 14, 2011
    Eugene, Oregon
    Quote:[​IMG][​IMG]

10. surgerynut

surgerynut Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Leavenworth, KS
    I have roosts that start at about 6 inches off the ground. The silkies refuse to use it. Instead, they make it to the nesting boxes which are 3 feet off the ground each and every night. I have a sebright banty hen and an easter egger who are also opposed to the roosts and prefer the nesting boxes. I used to block them off, but the chickens won out. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by