My silkies ~ would love gender input (pic intensive)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by asher, May 12, 2010.

1. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Lots of pics. I have seven silkies in all, but there are multiple pics of them. I know that I have at least one rooster, a black and I THINK I have a splash rooster, but I have not seen any indication that it's a roo other than the possible streamers.

These guys were hatched Jan. of this year. Still have some filling out to do, but I [​IMG] them and am really happy with them. (I want more! Don't tell hubby! [​IMG])

Thanks for looking and any gender input. I have one blue, three blacks and three splash.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These one has weird pokey things coming up in its crest. Definitely lots more filling in to do.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  2. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    I can't see any males...

3. Iluvmypeeps

Iluvmypeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Arizona
    They all look like females to me, with cocks you can usually see the black walnut comb.

4. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    So one of my hens might be crowing? The boys said the one that was crowing was mounting the others, too. I do realize hens do that sometimes. I was thinking it was the third pic up from the bottom.

5. IndigoEgg

IndigoEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

I love that little black girl at the end! Definitely girl. Maybe a boy behind her. [​IMG] I would guess there might be a Splash boy, a Black boy and maybe a Blue boy... Those light blues are cuuuute, aren't they!

At just over 4 months you should see definite sparse feather growth on the top knots of the boys. They are all lovely if I do say so myself [​IMG]

I just looked it up and they hatched Jan 6th so the streamers should be showing up shortly.

The pokey things are pin feathers... which means the top knot will just get fluffier. Just let me know. I love to hatch! [​IMG]

Quote:

6. IndigoEgg

IndigoEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

3rd one up does look like a boy.

Quote:

7. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Okay, good! :) I need at least one boy! I don't need three, though so I hope it's just a splash boy and a black boy. :) I just went out with DS to help me pick them up and the one black and one splash have a tiny comb. The others have a completely flat area above their beaks, no comb whatsoever. The splash one has dark reddish wattles so I'm pretty sure it's a boy. He has had a ton of pin feathers pop out since I took those pics a few days ago. Going to be stunning!

My favorite is the super extra fluffy splash girl.

I really need to name them, but I have a hard time telling them apart still so they are unnamed. *sigh*

I really do "need" to get more. I need to figure out how to convince DH of that. [​IMG]

8. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    6th pic down, splash, looks like a boy.

9. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I think the black (3rd up from bottom) looks like a boy too.

10. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    SOOOO, when the hatching bug hits me late in the year I need to head your way for eggs. Right? [​IMG]

Matt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by