My silky is broody. I'm getting some fertilized eggs

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by barney, Jun 21, 2008.

1. barney

barney Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2008
    Buckley, Washington
    We have 11chickens. 2 silkies, 2 buff orph. 3 americanas, 1 barred rock and 3 Wyndottes. They are all firendly to one another and to me and my husband.

My question is: Can I leave my silkie that is sittng on eggs in with the others while she is nesting? Or do I need to put her somewhere else ? [​IMG]

2. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    The others might be just fine in with her, but from personal experience, as I am going through this right now, my other hens want to keep laying in the nest were my broody is. I have had to go in everyday and pick out the freshly layed eggs, and it really has been a pain. The other thing is the chicks started hatching yesterday, and we found a dead one, that had hatched during the night or early this morning in the nest. I suspect that it was one of the other hens that killed it, either by it being smothered from overcrowding or picking at it, I really wished I would have moved my broody to a private area, where she was by herself so that I didn't have to worry about what the other hens were doing. We did section of a part of the coop today and put the other hens in the sectioned area, so the broody can finish hatching her eggs without interference from the other hens. If it were me, I would move them.

3. barney

barney Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2008
    Buckley, Washington
    SteffPeck,
    Sorry to hear about your newly hatched chick [​IMG]

Thank's for all your info. I'm taking your advice.

Chris, aka Barney
    (Barney was my old cocker)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by