my silky is still so skinny!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by greenkjb, Sep 6, 2010.

1. greenkjb

greenkjb Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2010
    Hello everybody. I've been reading up on chickens, but I have to say, everybody's advice is so helpful. Heres the scoop. About a month ago we purchased 7 young hens; they are approx 5 and 1/2 months now. They came with respiratory issues, you know runny noses and sneezing. I treated them with duramycin and got them a heat lamp. Shortly after there is roundworms! Gross. I dewormed them 2 weeks ago and was hoping to have them start to fatten up. I suppose they are growing, but they still feel so skinny! They all eat a lot and have plenty as well as clean fresh water. My darling silky is the skinniest, I mean she feels like a bag of bones. However, she eats the most and of course she is the sweetest of them all. Any suggestions? The meds say to worm them again in a month. Should I do it sooner? Are silkys normally bone thin? Does anyone have suggestions on how to fatten my birds up? They are currently on standard laying mash as well as lots of fresh fruits, veggies, and grains. We often feed them worms and other insects. I do find that they are annoyingly picky [​IMG] For example, they will not touch zucchini. FYI, they also have not started laying let. Thanks for your help!

2. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Personally, I don't feed worms since they are intermediate hosts for a number of parasites including intestinal worms and gapeworm. There are others on this forum far more expert than I on worming. If you're lucky, dawg53 will come along and advise you. If not, you may try sending a direct message. Good luck.

3. LadyinRed

LadyinRed Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2009
    What % of protein are you feeding?

4. greenkjb

Aug 13, 2010
    Im not sure. I was told at the feed store that the laying mash was well balanced and provided for their nutritional needs. Do the vary greatly in protein content?

5. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    besides feeding the normal feed, i'd add vitamins to their water, silkies are prone to vitamin deficiencies- polyvilsol liquid infant vitamins, without iron (yes human baby vitamins), also i would suppliment their food with boiled chopped eggs and possibly yogurt- can you post a pic of her?

6. greenkjb

Aug 13, 2010
    I will post one tomorrow. Thank you so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by