1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My silky lays in the dirt not in nestbox

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by csaszbe1, Feb 15, 2016.

1. csaszbe1

csaszbe1 New Egg

Jan 15, 2016
    Sydney
    She's just started laying and although there are 3 nesting boxes she csn choise from, she continues to lay her eggs in the dirt in the chicken run. Is that normal behaviour? I tried putting her on the nest once, but nothing changed. Shall I just let her to it?

2. orion141

orion141 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2015
    Do you have golf balls or fake eggs in the nesting box? If not that might help convince her to lay there. it took a few of my pullets at least a few days before they got the hang of laying in the nest box.

3. csaszbe1

csaszbe1 New Egg

Jan 15, 2016
    Sydney
    I'll try that, thx! It's just weird, because it's never happened before with any of my chooks.

4. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    There's always one nut case in any flock [​IMG] If the above advice doesn't work, then you may wish to consider locking her in the coop every morning until she lays - left with little choice, they seem to migrate towards the nest boxes.

All the best
    CT

5. csaszbe1

csaszbe1 New Egg

Jan 15, 2016
    Sydney
    Yeah, little nutbag! [​IMG] Thx for the advice

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by