My Silky Roo attacked Me

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by marymac, Dec 21, 2009.

1. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    How do other people handle their silky roos when they attack? Mine is really starting to p#$$ me off, Now I feel guilty for smacking him , I thought I might have killed him but he's fine. I just don't know what might happen next time. I don't think he could really hurt me as long as I'm wearing pants, but I'm diabetic and I have skin problems on my legs below my knees and I'm afraid of infections if I get scratched or spured. So how do you deal with a silky, he's soo small?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  2. Thortherooster

Thortherooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2009
    CA
    i kick my roosters when they attack they eventually have learned there lesson, my silkie roos have never ever attacked me, just make sure it knows that you are the one in charge...

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  3. THough1956

THough1956 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have never had a Silkie roo attack. Some of my other small bantams have though. Odd.

4. cwc362

cwc362 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Huntingdon- West Tn
    my little mix easter egg rooster tried that a month or so ago with me and I grabbed him by his feet and kind of roughed him up ( not injured) him . I grabbed his head and just made a lot of noise and made a big show of it. He's never tried it again. But I had one little half gold sebright rooster that never got over it no matter how much I did him like that. I finally sent him to chicken heaven because he was getting spurs and I didn't want him to attack my kids when they feed for me. You could try grabbing him up and toting him around and just kind of manhandling him a little and see if it breaks him.

5. TheMatador

TheMatador Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2009
    Upstate, NY
    My flock is a bit rooster heavy and all they boys have gone through a period of confusing me with a competing rooster at one time or another. When it has happened, they are sure to get a whack or light kick from me right away, but then I will chase them down and corner them. What I'm trying to impress on them is how much larger and faster I am and that I WILL NOT BE MESSED AROUND WITH. I'l get them cornered and just kind of stand over them, scolding them a bit with a booming voice and generally molesting them. It seems to work as I get very little trouble at all from any of them. I have a Blue Andalusian who is a real bas%#@d and would sneak attack me whenever I was bent over, working on something. Even he has gotten in line with some firm correction.

If not for many, many other reasons, my neighbors must think I'm crazy.

6. france

france Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    North East
    My silkie roo hates my 4 yr old and my 7 yr old. My 4 yr old has to stay away from the run. If my 7 yr old stomps around him he will attack. Think karate chop in the air. He only went after me once when I was wearing new boots and climbing around the coop with the hens. He pecked hard and bounced off my boots. I generally wear knee high Hunter wellies when doing chores and in the coop which might be a good option for your legs. Anyway he attacked once and I grabbed him and pinned him to the ground. He attacked again and I pinned him longer. He was still ticked but kept his distance after that. I tend to pick him up periodically and handle him and flip him onto his back like a baby. He is not impressed but deals. And besides that one time he has always left me alone.

7. LizFM

LizFM Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2009
    If you're really afraid of hurting him and you have any mobility issues, I wonder if you could swat him with a fly swatter? My grandma had an obnoxious little mini dachshund that would nip and run away fast. A few smacks on those fat little haunches with a fly swatter taught him he was never out of reach! And I knew it couldn't do him real damage...

8. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    I don't know how to break him, but I have a few extras....Want to try a different one?

9. sben451

sben451 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Anniston, AL
    My Silkie roo, Opie, used to peck the top of my feet, and he even got after my 7 yr. old grandson once. He pecks my husbands feet, but DH wears boots, so it's not a problem for him. I, however, cannot tolerate an attacking roo, so whenever Opie would start the "dance" and sidle towards my feet, I just put my shoe under him and lifted him about three or four feet away from me (I didn't kick him, just used a forceful push with my foot). After doing that a few times, he no longer bothers me at all. I also made sure that DH does not allow the pecking any more. I think you have to show the roo that you are the one in charge.[​IMG]

10. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    I'm really not afraid of him, i don't think he could do much damage but it ticks me off cause he will do this attack when I'm not looking. I was bent over scraping the boards in the coop and turning over the shavings when he done this, so it was unexpected. Usually he will stay out in the run when I'm inside, but I guess he seen me bent over and not looking[ he's a little devil!!]. It's probably a good thing I didn't have a shovel in my hand,lol. After when I was outside he went back in the coop grumbling then I went back in the coop to check on him and he went back out. I think he didn't want to look at me. I'll see what happens tomorrow, maybe I'l hold him a spell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by