1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my silly barred rock Didi

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by twilightgecko, Sep 25, 2016.

1. twilightgecko

twilightgecko Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2016
    New York
    [​IMG]

i am having such fun watching my chickens come into their own personalities.. this is my barred rock Didi.. she is 19 weeks old.. last night it was dusk and all 9 birdies looked to have gone in the coop.. as i was looking in doing my usual head count, i get only 8.. and i hear Didi doing her content grumble/coo sound.. i look up and she sitting in the apple tree far above my head.. she must've hopped the ramp up, made her way to the top of the coop and up into the tree.. i had to get my fella to come out and help me get her down.. she has been flying up on my shoulders and looking up at that tree since they've been in the coop.. she finally made it up.. she has a unique personality.. my fella's favourite bird.. every night before going to the coop, she waits on the porch railing for my fella to say good night to her.. he was late last night, so i think she showed him.. haha..

1 person likes this.
  2. twilightgecko

twilightgecko Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2016
    New York
    well, miss Didi did it a couple more times with the tree roosting thing.. first couple times i had reach up and pull her down.. the other night i figured she would come down when it got darker.. nope.. she went higher in the tree and roosted.. i had to get out the hose and give a little spritz.. not enough that she went to bed wet, but she sure scrambled out of the tree.. i finally had to fix a slanted board on the coop top so she can't land on it to get into the tree.. i am hoping this won't become a problem.. she is the most independent of the birds.. doesn't mind being separated a little from the flock.. actually walks in the house and seeks out my hubby for some attention,.

any one else have situations like this?

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

She's independent! She sounds like such a character! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by