My Silver Laced Wyandotte hates being held?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SemiEmmie, Mar 2, 2013.

1. SemiEmmie

SemiEmmie New Egg

Feb 9, 2013
    Okay so, I try to spend a lot of time with my chicks but my Silver Laced Wyandotte hates being held completely! All of my other chickens love being held and fall asleep in my hand and eat treats out of my hand but all she does is peep really loudly and try to fly away? Is there something I'm doing wrong or is she cold from being out of the light or something? Oh and they are 2.5 weeks old.

Thanks in advance! :)

2. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    I currently have a dozen or so different breeds and contrary to what everyone says, I am finding that my Wyandottes are not real friendly! My GLW in fact is the only one who will nip at me if I try to hold her. She doesnt hurt when she bites jsut more scolding me. My SLW is more indifferent and doesnt enjoy being picked up much. :-S

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Imagine a strange looking 50ft thing trying to grab you. lol. I bet thats how your chick feels.

4. SunAndDirt

SunAndDirt Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a Black Australorp chick who absolutely resents being held, even though they are noted to be gregarious; One Easter Egger (which are reported to be shy) who comes to me immediately and loves to snuggle and another EE that screams its head off when held.
    [​IMG]
    I just keep torturing them all equally, a few times a day, in the hopes that they will turn out calm around humans. I don't care if they want to grow up and be shy, I just don't want to give my birds heart attacks every time I enter the coop.

5. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    My SLW was the same way all the way up until she started to lay eggs. but now I just say "dut-dut-dut" to her and she squats down and lets me pic her up. I also have a beautiful blackish grey cochin/silky who is the cutest little thing who didn't want any love. now that she lays eggs for me she sees me and squats down, I can pick her up or pet her it is great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by