1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Silver Laced Wyandotte is acting differently.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Memcd, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Memcd

Memcd New Egg

Jun 12, 2015
    My 10 month old Wyandotte hen started sitting in one place and not wanting to move, she doesn't appear to be eating and she didn't get up on the roost last night. She did lay an egg yesterday but not in her nesting box. I'm not sure what is wrong with her. Can anyone help?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome to BYC!

How does she act when you try to move her from where she is?
    Has she made a "nest" in that spot - is she acting broody?

3. Memcd

Memcd New Egg

Jun 12, 2015
    Thank you for your help. My hen will stand and move aside, then find another spot to sit in. I don't believe she's trying to nest. I washed her vent this morning with warm water and she now appears to be moving around the yard a little bit more. She just seems a little lethargic.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Keep an eye on her then.
    Is she eating/drinking ok?
    If not you may want to separate her so you can monitor her food intake, if she is really lethargic then you may want to give her some vitamins/electrolytes to see it will give her a boost.
    You mention washing her vent - was she especially poopy, does she have diarrhea, is her abdomen swollen, anything like that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by