My silver spangled hamburg flying in front of my kitchen window!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by baldie, Oct 13, 2008.

1. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    Hello, Okay, so the other day, DH and I were trying to complete our pen. My silver spangled hamburg named Rose flew out. We tried to catch her all day and couldn't. Well she spent the night outside alone. The next morning she woke us up "yelling" outside. Well today she escaped once again. So we chased her and as usual, we couldn't catch her. Well, we decided to come in for the night, and my DH was washing the eggs from this morning, and he yell CHRISSIE COME HERE, and there is Rose 5-6 feet in the air, flying in front of my kitchen window. I ran outside and of course, she had no energy to run. She is now safe in the pen. My whole point to this story, is it possible to spend too much time with my chickens??? I can't believe she knew where to go to get our attention so she wouldn't spend another night alone. My neighbors say my RIR Roos are quiet all day and as soon as they hear us pull in, the start cockadoodling. Is this normal?? Has anyone else had any experiences like this? I know they are spoiled but come on.

2. porteryork

porteryork Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    How funny, our Silver Spangled Hamburg is also named Rosie. She is a big flyer and frequently spends the night out in a tree. She lets herself back in most days. She is very gentle with the babies but spends more time alone than with the other girls. I wouldn't worry too much. Michelle

[​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Defined spoiled chickens
    My chickens free-range all day yet make almost hourly visits to the kitchen door in case there's something I forgot to feed them.
    My roosters crow up a storm when we return from town.
    No matter how quiet I try to be, I've yet to make it thru the garden gate without them hearing me and screaming at the coop door to be let out.
    But spoiled? Nah. [​IMG]

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sounds normal to me. I had a roo who'd crow as soon as her heard my car door open or close!

5. baldie

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    Yeah, I guess it could be normal. I was just amazed when I saw her flying in front of the window. With a look on her face like "don't leave me out here alone again. It was funny, I just couldn't beleive my eyes. But I am pretty new at the whole chicken thing. So I thought I may be spending too much time hovering over them, talking to them and giving treats, etc. I try to hold all 50 at least once a day. And my neighbors go running as soon as they hear my chicken talking voice ( I tend to talk them in goofy voice I guess).

6. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    LOL, I spent many hours shooing my SSH back home after she'd flown over the fence. Ours was named Wendy because DH would tell people she was a Star Spangled Hamburger. [​IMG]
    I have a duck that starts quacking whenever I pull in the driveway or open my kitchen door. Yup, they're spoiled!

7. baldie

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    Quote:

8. stacym

stacym Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Kennard, Nebraska
    Our chickens went from scared farm chickens to spoiled pets.
    I was cleaning my garden up yesterday. I heard the chickens flapping their wings in the free range temporary pen. No big deal they do it all the time! But then I had a feeling I wasn't alone in my garden. I turn and all five of them are out of the pen practically at my heels staring at me. Then when I walked up to them they stood there waiting to be picked up. Probably didn't help that I had to cuddle each one of them before I put them back in the pen. (bad chicken owner,bad)
    They are like little dogs. They come running when they see us. My daughter often picks them up and swings on the yard swing with them. (I should take a picture. It's good for a laugh!)

9. Appytaz

Appytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Central Florida
    My little herd knows what time I get home from work and show up on the front steps waiting for me. And the Roo comes to get me if he needs something. If they have tipped over the water bowl ect. They freerange so there are plenty of other waterers out there - but goodness that ONE is tipped over!

10. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Many years ago, I had a SSH rooster, Gabe. He would stay close to the hens, tho'. I'm sure he was a good flyer however I never saw evidence of that but what a pretty guy.

I have one Australorp pullet who was a little dangerous to get close to. When I walked by their pen, she would often fly up on the wire so as to get as close to me as she could. Out of the pen, she thought sitting on my shoulder was a good idea [​IMG].

Now that she's older and heavier, she's not that way and she's really, very independent - doesn't like to be picked up, wants to do everything on her own. But, she still runs to me when another chicken pecks her. I don't interfere very much beyond fending the other bird off a little. They are just being chickens and need to sort these things out themselves.

Spoiled? Well, I'm going to cook up some scratch and mung beans in the rice cooker this morning for their evening snack. It's getting cold at night and they could use a little warm porridge to fend off the chill [​IMG].

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by