1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My sister-in-law now thinks I'm nuts and obsessed

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by WriterofWords, Sep 11, 2008.

1. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I was in the kitchen scrambling a dozen eggs for my birdy buddies outside when my sister-in-law Gema came in. She was talking to me about subbing in my class next week and when I started crumbling the egg shells into the eggs I was scrambling she kind of stopped talking and just looked at me realllllllly odd.

I looked over at her to see why she had stopped and she had the strangest look on her face I had ever seen and I had to sit and think a second about why she might look like that. She staring at my eggs...... then she asked very carefully why I was putting the shells in my eggs.

I had to explain they were for the chickens and they liked the shells and it made their egg shells tougher. She shook her head and muttered about me getting a life, a BF, something other than school and livestock! I laughed as she walked out still muttering. Then my mom called, Gema had called her to tell her I was scrambling egg shells for the chickens and ducks,, even my mom laughed!

2. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    MY SILs pretty much ignore me. I am fairly certain the majority of them would think I was nuts if they knew all about my birds. But they already think I'm nuts for marrying their BIL. One of those SILs has a rooster collection, but I'm talking ceramic objects, etc. No idea if she would ever consider having live ones.

3. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, I feel what you are experiencing, lol. How do you think I got the nickname Ellymae from family and friends...I'm southern, blonde, and have a passion for the critters!
    Most of my relatives just smile and shake their head at me, oh well. One in particular thinks I should grow up and act like a 36yo! DUH! That ain't happnin' sister!!

4. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    LOL,, I love Gema to death, but considering she has 3 kids and would cook each one a separate meal from what she and my brother were having, oh and half the time his was different too,, she looked at me oddly?

5. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, I always say, To each his own. And is there really a "normal"?, LOL

6. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    My definition of normal is however I am behaving at the time! I'm 45, most people think I'm in my early 30s, and I'm told I act like a 20 something,,,, I'm happy!

7. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Considering that "normal" would have all of us in the U.S. living in a household of 2.59 people, I'd say the word is meaningless. To paraphrase from a one of Robert Anton Wilson's many websites, "normal" summarizes a null set of values which describe no one.

8. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    I once baked a lovely loaf of birdie bread for our various parrots. I did not tell the family about it, but there it was, cooling on the stovetop. My oldest son cut a nice big chunk of the "cornbread" and could not figure out why it was so crunchy, he told me it ws good but why was it crunching?
    I had started with a basic cornbread recipe, added evey vegetable I had aruond and egg shells to it. Thus the crunch, but he said it was pretty good anyway. LOL

9. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I'll bet my babies would love that!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by