My sitting broody has laid more eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hoppyhen, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Hoppyhen

Hoppyhen In the Brooder

Jul 19, 2013
    Suffolk, England
    My bantam had been sitting on 8 eggs & while she was out today I checked & there are now 12 eggs, is that 'normal' & does it mean she'll just carry on being broody indefinitely? Thanks

2. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It soulds like others have laid in her nest or someone has moved eggs into her nest. If you have more than one nest, she may not even return to the right one. I like to separate the broody while she is setting, then put her back with the flock when the chicks hatch (she should protect her chicks.)

3. Hoppyhen

Hoppyhen In the Brooder

Jul 19, 2013
    Suffolk, England
    She's in a coop on her own but the door is open during the day so she can come and go so its possible one of the others has been in there and laid. They are in a shed with 3 separate nesting areas. I saw her out this morning and two days ago before that but that doesn't mean she hasn't been out of course. I'll check sizes later tonight & remove the ones that look different from the rest. She's back firmly planted on the nest again so I assume she's happily 'adopted' these eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: