my six month old silkie started squatting today!!! eggs are near!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by realsis, Mar 9, 2014.

1. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Hi all I have three babies two are 6 months old one is 7 months a old all silkies. These are the babies I got for this year. Today one of my 6 month olds started squatting for me! Im so excited I just had to share it with you all! ! This usually means the first egg is very near! Sometimes with in days some times a couple of weeks! But I know its close! I'm so excited!

2. MalcolmHawkins

MalcolmHawkins Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2013
    Chicago , Illinois
    Wooo! Which one?

3. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Penny! I couldn't believe it myself! I always thought peep would give my first egg out of the babies because she's a month older and fuller but nope! Its my th little penny who on just turned 6 months old!! I'm so excited! Any day now!

4. Didymus

Didymus Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2013
    So fun! I love that when my hens started laying. How big are Silkie eggs? I just have EE's and a couple of meaties, which we are not going to cull, but they are big.

5. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Silkie eggs are fairly small but still delicious!! I can't wait! I'm so shocked it's my little 6 month old and my 7 month old has not squatted yet! I guess it's when ever their bodies are prepared! She's so cute squatting like that! ! I'll post the egg when it comes. Funny thing this morning I noticed she was louder and nervous, I told my hubby it won't be long but then she started to squat! Now I really know it's going to be soon!!!!

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Ya Penny! So what day do you think she'll lay that first one?

7. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Well it could only be a matter en of days to a week but judgeing by her behavior id say any time. I noticed this morning she was sqawking very loudly and dc paceing about which is unlike her. She seems nervous. Then this afternoon she started squatting for me every time I went to pet her or walked up to her. I'm certain this explains the strange nervous behavior this morning. I just wonder if the egg will be little or tiny or what? She's been on good organic feed so I'm hoping her egg will be well formed. Sometimes until they get the hang of it eggs can be strange I just wonder what her first will be like. She is a tiny girl compared to her larger sisters. I just hope it goes well. I feel like a expected mother! Hopefully I'm right and it will be in a matter of days!♡♡I can't wait! Im going to guess Tuesday. Let's see if I'm right? ?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    I'll guess, Friday the 14th, and it will be a pretty little egg, and will weigh 32 grams.

9. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Ya! This is fun! ! I'll make sure and post as soon as it happens!! Hubby guesses tomorrow! Lol , can't wait to see who comes closest! The clock is ticking!! I can't believe my sweet baby is a full grown girl now!! If you were to see my other "babies" you would never guess it would be penny laying first! Got one silkie a full month older and still no squatting with her. Can't believe my little pennys first!

1 person likes this.
  10. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    No egg yet today. Still waiting[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by