My sleep in day ruined

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by watersoflethe, Jul 23, 2010.

1. watersoflethe

watersoflethe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Corona/Mira Loma CA
    So i had to go on a trip for couple days and i just got back. I decided today would be my sleep in day to recover. oh course the chickens didn't have that in mind. My mom had been watching my chickens for me and she was complaining that they haven't laid eggs for couple days.

So i'm trying to sleep in and i am awoken by the loudest mess of clucks and such. Whoever it was kept repeating the same pattern. I thought oh no my japanese bantam cockerel finally decided to try and crow. I tried to ignore it for almost an hour figuring it was just him and the sun coming up so he would stop soon.

It kept going on and on and on and on....

ARGH!!!! At least learn to crow properly. IT sounds like bunch of clucks....

wait maybe its not him... hmm..

so after trying to peer from the window to see the coop and figure out who the loud one was and finding it quite impossible. I got my lazy butt out of bed and dragged myself out to the chicken coop.

Maybe there's no food or water....

I got to the chicken coop and realized my mom had filled up the food and water newly and they all seemed quite happy since it was cooler today too.

who's making all that noise.

I realized it was my splash silkie hen named Ame.

I wonder what's wrong....

She was pacing around the bottom of the coop and continuously making a series of funny sounding complaint sounding clucks.

Food and water was fine. Dirt bath was fine. They even had new greens to eat from the garden.

Wonder if she laid an egg.

I opened the nest box to find that almost all the bedding was gone. it was almost all wooden floor.

Oh my mom must've not known she had to fill this up. I got a bunch of bedding and refilled the nest boxes. As soon as i was done Ame came RUNNING up the steps to the nest box and she literally pushed about 10 pullet out of her way off the steps. They fell off to the sides like bowling pins.

It was like watching a little silkie football player [​IMG]

She sat down contently in the newly filled nest box and cooed.

OHHH!!
    she needed to lay an egg and the nest was not suitable.... [​IMG]

I guess she's been holding it in for too long... hahahahahahh

i guess i would be that angry too if i had to hold it in....

2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Ha ha! That made my day! That's too funny! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I bet you were like - [​IMG]

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Too cute! [​IMG]

4. helloroe

helloroe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    Cetral FL
    So cute. Can picture the entire thing.

5. SG_Chicken

SG_Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Laramie, Wyoming
    Oh how sweet is that. She new that the nest box was empty and she wanted it full to lay her egg. that is sooooooo cool. congrats on coming to her aid. and for getting a hen that was so fussy about her laying spot.

6. watersoflethe

watersoflethe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Corona/Mira Loma CA
    Quote:fussy is right.. all my hens use the same nesting box... what's up with that? there's more available ...

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG] [​IMG] STRIKE!! Wooo HOooooo! Now needs another strike for the bowling game!

Hens are picky where they will go to lay eggs. When you have eight available holes, they all want this ONE!

8. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    [​IMG] Great story- they are just persnickety little things, aren't they?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by