My small hen is sneezing-what to do before it gets worse?

Brendarh

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 7, 2010
Clarksville, Maryland
My 6 month old sex-link is not quite herself-still eating and drinking-but not as active as usual & sneezing. It's very cold here so maybe she has a cold. I have four small hens and they live in a small coop in our backyard & roam around in the yard during the day. Should I put the coop in the garage? The others seem to be OK, although one of the silkies has a soiled behind, but I thought she just sat in poop last night. I am giving them medicated crumbles in their food. What else should I do? I don't know if there is an avian vet around here. Thanks for any advice.

I have not had experience with colds. .. .

The first thing I do with any type of injury / sickness is separate and keep warm. So, I would bring the sick hen into the garage. You need to be able to easily treat and watch for signs of improvement / worsening.

With that being said . . . . there are two antibotics that I have found at our local feed stores . . . .

1.) powder duramycin
( you mix in their drinking water at the rate of 1/2 tsp per quart of water and you should mix a fresh batch every day.)

2.) tylan 50 injectable
( you can administer straight down their throats at 1/2 cc per day or inject it in thier breast)
This antibotic is for respiratory illnesses.

somebody else will need to post more to help you out . . . .
I have not had any diseases, so I don't know what questions to ask to help identify what you should be treating for.

I had a little silkie mix that was sneezing , bubbly nose and swollen face took to the vet she said sinus infection and put him on Duramyacin for 2 weeks. He is fine now.

I have some that have a clear fluid around their nostrils and a couple that it is green. I heard a cough when I was out there today. I bought some Tetraclyclene (sp?) and had to call around to find out a conversion of measurement so I could get the right amount. Called the vet first and had no luck. Imagine that? So I called a Pharmacist. So I"m gonna post it here so when somebody does a search they can find it. I looked everywhere online last night and had no luck at all.

Metric conversion for MG goes like this.

For 400 mg per gallon it is 7.5 ML or 1 /2 Teaspoon. Double that for the full 800 mg which is 15 ml or 3 teaspoons.

I hope this helps

Thank you! She seems OK today except for the sneeze. I will keep the Duramyacin is the water for two weeks. Should I bring them in at night? The coop isn't heated. Does anyone recommend the heated pads? Or would a heated ceramic bulb be better?
It's a small coop

Quote:
This measurement is closer to mine. . . . 1/2 teaspoon per quart of water.

We used a grams scale and actually weighed the powder. Then, I poured it into measuring spoons.
The actual amount was more then 1/3 tsp and a smidgin less than a 1/2 tsp. So, I rounded it to the nearest measuring spoon of 1/2 tsp per qt. I use a qt because it needs to be mixed fresh everyday and for one bird, a qt of water is sufficient.

Back
Top Bottom