My Small Moveable Chicken Pen

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CountryBoy16, Mar 6, 2013.

1. CountryBoy16

CountryBoy16 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2013
    I made this pen to house my silkie hen and her chicks (one of which has died since the picture was taken [​IMG]). The run measures 3 foot wide and 8 foot long and the house on the end is 3 foot wide and 2 foot deep. The house is elevated off the ground with 2x4s. The structure has a handle on the front and back so two people can easily move the pen to a fresh area. It has a door on the end of the run and a door to the house. The only wood I had to buy was the two 10 foot boards that run the entire length. The rest of the wood was salvaged and I already had the wire and sheet tin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Looks great! Do you have a way of locking them in the coop at night? The wire you used (chicken wire) is used for keeping the chickens in, not the predators out. A determined predator could easily tear it down.

3. ChickMommaSD

ChickMommaSD Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2013
    Carlsbad, CA
    Thanks for that tip. Ours locks but good to know predators can get in, so that we can be aware of that.

4. PoultryGirly

Mar 28, 2012
    Yes, a determined predator could tear any part of the wire to get the chickens.

5. CountryBoy16

CountryBoy16 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2013
    Thank you for your concern but I dont have any predators in my area.

6. PoultryGirly

Mar 28, 2012
    Oh, then there's nothing to worry about! :) Here's a list of predators just in case: cats, dogs, raccoons, possums, bears, foxes, bobcats, snakes, hawks, skunks, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by