My small shoddy little coop~ventilation position question. PHOTOS!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Hatrick, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Hatrick

Hatrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So after viewing all the delightfully designed and painted coops on here, mine is a little embarassing, however it does the job for our three girls and I'm just looking for some advice on winterizing it and the position of the vent. As you can see in the photos the one vent my husband installed is opposite the hole cut out for the door to the coop. Is this going to create a cross draft? We're planning on boarding up a few sides of the run to cut down on wind and using hay bales and weather stripping, but if we're to add more vents, where should we add them?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  2. possumqueen

possumqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Monroe, North Carolina
    Nothing wrong with that coop, Hatrick!! It's neatly done, tidy and dry, and I love the weatherproof vent![​IMG]

But you might be right about the cross draft. I can see that the roost lines up between the vent and the door.

What does the vent look like underneath? Is the opening up towards the top of the plastic part?

And which way is south? That would make a difference, too.

Maybe put a vent on the front door???

Bales might be a better idea than weather stripping, since chickens seem to have a taste for weather stripping. Look at other threads about insulation.

I've heard that bales might cause a mouse problem if left sitting too long.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  3. Hatrick

Apr 4, 2009
    The vent faces east (I think) and it's completely covered on top with a small grate type opening on the underside. Vent on the front door, you mean the open door. I also just realized that our 2X4 roost is only 5.5 inches from the back wall of the coop. Not enough room is it? I thought maybe we should be putting maybe a few floor vents at the back of the coop behind the roost. That wall runs along the fence so it's not bad for the wind, what do you think?

4. possumqueen

possumqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Monroe, North Carolina
    Yes, the open door would be a good spot for that vent.

And, yes, five inches is a little short. Do you have your chickens already? Are they bantams or regular size? And how many?

If they're coming in just to sleep or lay eggs, they don't need a lot of space inside the box, just enough that nobody gets bullied off the perch.

And of course, you being new to chickens????? You'll be addicted to them pretty soon, and you'll need more space soon enough. No one gets near this website without they become totally hooked. Sorry. It's just a fact of life.[​IMG]

5. Hatrick

Apr 4, 2009
    Right now since the weather is still reasonable they're only in there to lay eggs and sleep. I let them out at 7:30am every morning and they don't go in until it gets dark. My concern over the size is when winter comes and they're spending most of their time inside, which is why we're going to board up the run a bit and spread straw on the floor of the run. We have three full sized 22 week old Barred Rocks, and yes, I'm addicted. I think we'll wait until we buy more property next year before we add to our chicken family. [​IMG]

So the door would be a better spot for the vent, rather than the back wall? It faces North...(I think).

6. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    where do you live? even in the coldest climates chcikcens spend a lot of time outside. We get snow and serious wind storms here and mine play outside almost all day. You should see them in a wind storm with al their butt feather blowing the wrong way . . . I think they like it! lol!

7. lamelde

lamelde Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2009
    Sparta, WI
    I'm glad you started this thread - I also have a question regarding venting.

I live in Wisconsin and it's already freezing at night - snowed 2 days ago!

My coop is standard 4x8 and I have 4 full size hens (plus 5 5-week old chicks to add) so 9 total.

The heavily insulated wall is North facing (I plan to stack bales for wind block) - the thinner wall is facing South so sunshine can get in the window.

The pop door is in the floor with 4x8x2 run underneath - if I close up all the windows for winter - how much venting will I need at roof level?

8. lamelde

lamelde Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2009
    Sparta, WI
    Oops - I forgot to ask - where to put the vents on the North & South walls or the East & West walls?

My coop is still in the garage being built.

I wish I knew how to upload it's picture - being able to see it would help I'm sure.

I have tried many times to put the construction pictures on my page - no luck - computers hate me [​IMG]

9. Hatrick

Apr 4, 2009
    Blarg! I've been hi-jacked. [​IMG] We're in Ontario so winters here are long, drawn out affairs. Sigh. Anyhoo, it's good to know that they may actually venture out into the winter wonderland. That will be amusing to watch. I still question though, vent on the opening door in the front or on the back wall that runs along a fence? Just answer that and I'll abandon this post for others to enjoy. [​IMG]

10. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I would put it on the back wall in order to provide fresh air but no draft.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by