My SO is always right!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by gritsar, Feb 4, 2008.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    or at least I think he is in this case.

I had planned (and planned) to sneak at least 6 ducks in my chick order. I've hinted around to my SO about them and I've gotten back some not-so-happy looks.
    He tells me that since this will be my first year with any type of fowl, I should start slow, with the chickens, and expand from there. I'm sitting here agonizing about what I will actually order in the morning, but I think he may just be right. Start with the chickens for now and then maybe next year add some ducks, maybe some geese. Maybe next year I'll be set up to incubate and can hatch some ducklings. Besides I've got the new goat and possibly a new dog to deal with right now, in addition to preparing for the chickens.

I'm really torn between doing what my semi-impulsive nature says and what the wise man...and he is very wise...tells me. Feedback?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  2. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    Ducks are awesome and easy to raise. i would go for it, but my So also lets me do anything I want.

3. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    Well, you know you can't *tell* him he's always right... [​IMG]

Your SO and mine sound remarkably alike! Of course, I still went ahead and ordered the ducklings...[​IMG]

4. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Don't over-do it. You'll stress yourself out and spread yourself too
    thin. None of your animals will be better for it.

Our original birds are so much more friendly because they got personal
    attention. Then I went crazy and hatched TOO many birds. I ended up
    with unfriendly birds and didn't even recognize them. Now that I've gotten
    rid of a bunch to good homes, and culled most of my roos, the chicken experience
    is getting better again. I do have a hatch going but it's 24 eggs in one
    bator, not 100 in 3.

Listen to your SO. He's right.

5. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Well....I am no expert, never had ducks, but this is what I have discerned from reading a LOT of posts...

Ducks are tremendously cute. BUT.....the thing is, they are 10 times messier than a chick. Their poop squirts, and sprays. Which one has to be prepared for.
    And I have read its hard to have them in a brooder together, as the ducks want to dump the water, play in the water, etc, therefore soakin the poor lil chicks.
    So, best to not have them together, for a while anyway, til the baby chicks are older.
    Now, I have read of folks having them together when a bit older, but do you have a place to brood them separately if need be? Thats one question!
    And are you prepared for the WORK on 10 times the chick mess?
    I really think they are entertaining, would love some myself, but after readin on here, I know I am unable to handle it until I have a place in the country, and can have a little help taking care of them. DH is experienced with ducks, and he assures me this is true, the 10 times the mess thing. So I am a believer.
    Just my 2 cents. [​IMG]
    Good luck on your decision.
    Jill

6. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Listen to thndrdancr. She is always right.

(signing the check she sent me)

7. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    shh, you werent supposed to tell...

8. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    I started with ducks this year, before I got some chickens. I ended up with 84 muscovy babies. I made them a pen in the yard with a heat lamp. The would get let out in the afternoon and they go back in at night. I am down to about 40 ducks now, added runners, khakis and a few calls to the bunch, and have a freezer full of duck. Yes they are messier, but being outside its not that bad. 6 is not a lot, and they would not require a big pen.

9. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Start with ducks. Then chickens will be a breeze! [​IMG]

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Amen to that!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by