My solution for messy ducklings and goslings

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Buxton Ducks, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Buxton Ducks

Buxton Ducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Buxton, Maine
    I just wanted to share this with anybody who gets frustrated at how messy ducklings and goslings can be versus chicks. I rushed getting my last duck clutch in an outside brooder due to this. I have tried a hundred different ways to place their water so that they won't walk in it and poop in it! I was seriously changing the bedding every 4 hours with only 4 of these little guys. A simple guinea pig water bottle does the trick! I got a flat-back clear bottle. They learned how to use it because of their affinity for shiny objects. I am currently raising two blue swedish and two sabastopol geese together and it is working like a charm. The geese are naturally a little smarter and figured it out in only a few minutes and the ducklings weren't too far behind. It is currently 32 degrees out and I cannot brood outside yet so they are all in my living room and I would prefer it not smell like ducks in here.

2. Alesia

Alesia Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2012
    cool idea would it work with chicks to?

3. kjt135

kjt135 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2012
    Small town KY
    Yes it works for chicks too I saw this and tried it. Mine fight over the bottle --need to get another one

4. Alesia

Alesia Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2012
    very cool might help to keep the brooding box clean huh?

5. Buxton Ducks

Jan 16, 2012
    Buxton, Maine
    Yeah my two sabastopols and swede's are fighting over the one now. It is good to know it works for chicks too!

6. sheeshshe

sheeshshe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Small world, but we live in the same town!

7. SkyeSchazade

SkyeSchazade Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2012
    Mulino, OR
    I love this idea! My kids have been begging for ducklings and I've been putting it off because of how messy they are. If I can use this trick the kids will be happy with ducks and I will be happy not having to change bedding 10 times a day! [​IMG]Now to find some Cayugas....

8. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    If there is no actual water dish, then the ducklings will need to have a dish to soak their head in to clean out their nostrils, or at least have a swim/bath a couple times a day. Ducks have to soak their bills in water to clear out gunk that gets stuck in there.

9. Buxton Ducks

Jan 16, 2012
    Buxton, Maine
    A daily bath tub swim and a good dry-off does the trick! (make sure there are no chemicals is the tub)

10. Buxton Ducks

Jan 16, 2012
    Buxton, Maine
    [​IMG]

Tonights "bath"

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by