My son, 9, wants me to make him a pumpkin costume. I"m done pics

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by ginbart, Oct 15, 2009.

1. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    "m My son, who has so many problems I won't mention because it would take me so long, wants me to make him a pumpkin costume. And I need to have this done by the 30th. Anyone out there that could help me with that. I would owe you forever. Thanks Ginger

He is in 3rd grade and has been a Fireman for the last 3 years and when he said he wants to be a pumpkin I said great. [​IMG] He has a problem with change. Now mind you he has OCD so it will need to look like a pumpkin I can always give him a green hat for the top but that body needs to be round. He reminds me of Monk on T.V. God bless him, my son that is, and Monk. Thanks again.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    What about the orange Jack O' Lantern trash bags, stuffed with paper to round it out? Green hat, green leggings and shoes?

3. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Quote:You could also stuff the "body" with plastic peanuts.

Good Luck!

4. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    #1California Chick :

Quote:You could also stuff the "body" with plastic peanuts.

Good Luck!

Thank you both. I didn't know they made Jack O' Lantern trash bags. I will look for them. Plastic peanuts is good but he needs to walk around in school that may be a little hard. Maybe I could put balloons in it.

Your giving my ideas. Thank you so much. I'll be looking for the bags tomorrow if I'm awake. LOL​

5. ametauss

ametauss Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Shepherdsville, KY
    You could also get an orange sweat shirt very large like an adult size and use magic markers to make a face or let him draw the face on it and stuff it... This way it would be his own creation....

Green sweat pants and green hat....

Stuff with newspaper or ballons.... To keep the bottom closed you could use safety pins or sew in some elastic to make it tight....

Good Luck... My DD has always wanted to do the princess thing and this year... nope... wants to be a vampire... go figure..

6. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

These are great ideas!! When I was in first grade, a very long time ago, one of the girls dad made her the best pumpkin outfit I ever saw, and I don't know to this day how he did it. He made a wire frame, like chicken wire, it was "soft" if you know what I mean, and covered it in orange paper, the kind that was stretchy, can't think what it was called . . .but not tissue paper. It was beautiful, and they painted a cool face on it with a green topper and she won first place. I was Woody Woodpecker. What can I say. [​IMG] I love to see great imagination used on costumes!! [​IMG] I love Halloween. We get to have Halloween back at my DS's school, since the old fuddy duddy prin. retired, and while they don't get to dress up, they get to wear pj's, having a movie, eat popcorn [​IMG] and at least get to wear Halloween stuff and SAY the word. It's been about 9 years since they could do that, if not longer. His wife teaches 2nd grade and she HATES anything that has nothing to do with learning, [​IMG] the secretary who also retired HATED Halloween, and one of the other "powerful" teachers HATED Halloween, so he got rid of it, because he had to live with one of them and listen to the other two yammering about it day in and day out at school. Still made me think he was a spineless jellyfish. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:Boy your a lot of help, wire frame but soft, orange paper but stretchy. [​IMG]

I can't believe they don't have a Halloween party at your school. They must be a bunch of old farts. [​IMG]

With all these ideas I may be able to use my imagination. Thanks.

8. welman

welman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    New Hampshire
    My youngest son had an orange winter jacket last year, I cut out felt eyes and a mouth to stick on and knitted him a brown hat for a stem. Cute and functional!

Just searched for a photo, can't find one yet. If I do I'll post it!

Good luck!

9. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    omg you all are touching on one of my saddest, earliest memories...

i ... yes me...

i was once a pumpkin... for halloween...

its true!

I was in kindergarden. My mom had cut holes in one of those pumpkin trash bags, and stuffed me full of newspaper.... most liked my costume. i did until.....

it was recess... and i wanted to swing on the swing....

i was a huge pumpkin... you get the picture?

I couldnt swing. I cried and cried.

THE END

I hope your son doesnt want to swing. LOL

OK you guys can laugh hysterically now... [​IMG]

10. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    OH BellLisamo, I'm so sorry for you. I didn't mean to bring up bad memories. [​IMG]

At my son's school they only put on their costume after lunch and if its nice outside they will walk around the parking lot and if it's not they walk around the gym. I just had an idea, my DH has an L.L. Bean orange jacket, maybe he will let our son use that. [​IMG] I will have to take a pic after we decide on what to do but I don't mind any more ideas.

Thank you all for helping me. If I go with the garbage bag I can't tell my DS what it is or he won't wear it. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by