My son and I beginning to prepare to build our chicken coop from pallets

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 1Lauraann, Feb 12, 2013.

1. 1Lauraann

1Lauraann Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2013
    [​IMG]

Hi Everyone, This is our first attempt to try to build a chicken coop from pallets. We have watched quite a few videos online and looked at a bunch of photos of other peoples coops. I think we have enough pallets to do at least 3/4 of the coop. First we plan to reorganize the top slats so that they are as seamless as possible then we will begin on our walls.
    Wish us luck! :yiipchick

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  2. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

I wish you luck. One of my tractors is in a Pallet garage and my 20 ft boat in in a partial one. I love pallets!

Shawn

1 person likes this.
  3. hopefulpeeps

hopefulpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Franklin, NC
    Good luck, I'll be following your progress, since I am also thinking of using pallets to build a coop!

1 person likes this.
  4. 1Lauraann

Feb 7, 2013
    Ok so I have taken video of what we have done do far through this process and the things we have learned along the way. I'm trying to figure out how to post it on here. Hopefully I'll have it figured out by tomorrow. So far I have learned that there are many different types of pallets and some ( Most ) of them are incredibly difficult to break down! But if your stubborn like me you'll just keep plowing on through. We decided to make the floor of the coop with three pallets. They are each 4 feet by 3 feet 4 inches. I have removed all the slats from multiple boards and all but the last slat on the base im currently working on and those on the underneath. I then check to see which boards will create the tightest fit when placed side by side and renail the board down. Repeat till the pallet is completed. The nails are very difficult to remove as they are ringed which creates a very tight fit. I have reused these nails whenever possible. I have completed all of the pallets for the base of the coop and started framing the door. Here is a picture of a finished pallet. [​IMG]

5. 1Lauraann

Feb 7, 2013
    I said three pallets in there but really the floor is 4 pallets. Sorry typo :)

6. hopefulpeeps

hopefulpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Franklin, NC
    It's looking good!!!

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Looks good! Great way to re-purpose something! Good luck to you with your progress.

8. hungry4eggs

hungry4eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2013
    Cataula Georgia
    How many pallets are you using, only asking because I may have to buy mine.

9. 1Lauraann

Feb 7, 2013
    So far I believe I have collected about 24 of various sizes. Some are 4 feet by 4 feet but those I had to enlist my neighbour and his truck to pick them up because I have a small vehicle which only allows me to get the smaller ones in width. Some are Much larger in length. You shouldn't have to pay for them. What you want to do is go by places that sell lawn mowers, car lots, Home Depot, Rona, target, hardware centres, lumber yards, even brewery's. they will usually give them to you for free. These are some of the longer pallets you may find , these will be great for framing! [​IMG]

10. jteam

jteam Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2010
    I have seen some huge ones behind stores that sell mattresses, food for thought.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by