1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My son and our silkie rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Spring, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Spring

Spring Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2007
    I have a 3 yr. old and 7 year old. It seems when they go in the coop Dodge (our silkie rooster) attacks them. When I'm in there he doesn't attack me, but he will go after them and they get scared. Why is this??

We've got one silkie hen and he seems pretty protective of her. We also just let our babies out in the coop with them. We've got 6 bantam babies (8 weeks). All suppose to be female, though I think one rooster.

Any suggestions on how to get Dodge to NOT do that to the boys? We pick them up and the boys hold them but they don't like to be attacked!

2. Amanda

Amanda Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2007
    Dayton, MN
    oh, sad. not sure what to tell ya. I bet sombody else will know. Maybe he learned the boys are scared of him???

3. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    Keep the kids and dogs out of the chicken coop. The kids will step in the poop and track it all over, and I am not about to tell you what the dogs will do with it.

When the kids are bigger, you can let them work with the chickens. Teach them not to be afraid of them. If a rooster comes at them, tell then to kick them. And then chase them around the chicken yard for a while. That lets the roosters know who is boss.

Rufus

4. NewGuineaChooks

NewGuineaChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    San Antonio, Texas
    Sounds like you and your family are percieved as a part of the flock pecking order! You're the boss but the rooster thinks he is higher than the kids.

I'd arm them with a broom when they're around the flock, so they can defend themselves, and remind the rooster that they are also boss, just like you.

Might not make the rooster best friends with them though. :-(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by