My son didn't eat his oatmeal for breakfast.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by theCandEs, Dec 9, 2010.

1. theCandEs

theCandEs Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2010
    It has a lot of sugar in it. Is it okay to give it to the chickens?

2. WhoopiePie

WhoopiePie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    Queens, NY
    it's probably not a good idea, a lot of sugar is bad for little chicken bodies. tell your son to cut back on the sugar so next time you can feed his leftovers to the chickens lol [​IMG]

3. theCandEs

theCandEs Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2010
    I think that is why he wouldn't eat it. It had too much sugar in it. [​IMG]

4. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    If it isn't growing mold or rotting, out to the chickens it goes.

While sugar may not be great for them, 1 day of extra sugar won't kill them. They'll enjoy the oatmeal otherwise.....

5. jrudolph305

jrudolph305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2009
    Meadows of Dan, Va
    I buy the cheapest bags of oatmeal I can find, make enough for the girls for a week and give them some every morning. I mix in crushed egg shell and veggie scraps. We have 5 girls and I give them about 2 cups a day. I also have layer pellets available for them all day and throw some scratch in their run. I have been doing this for about a year and everyone seems healthy and are good layers.

6. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    My birds LOVE oatmeal!!!

7. sixinva

sixinva Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    oatmeal is a great warm treat for the girls....i also buythe cheapest i can find.....a bowl for me, the rest for the girls....and boy.

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Golly, and here i've just been giving the dry oats to them, from my hands! It's our afternoon treat.
    Store or generic brand, old fashioned oatmeal, 100 % rolled oats, no added salt or anything else. Tried to buy a case of the tall, cylindrical boxes the other day - none in stock, all out on the shelves. The checker looked me funny when she rang up six huge oatmeal containers.

"Are you baking something special, or do you just like oatmeal a lot?" (She had noticed there were no other baking products in my cart.)

She was cautiously amused by my explanation of special hand feeding treats for my chickens. Probably a little too suburban and a little to mired in 20-something fashions to be interested in chickens.

9. Savannah Poultry

Savannah Poultry The Source

Mar 29, 2010
    Lakeview, OR
    [​IMG] hahahaha that's funny! I wish I could spoil my chickens more but my mom would be angry if I was feeding our oatmeal to the chickens! hahahaha

10. Jabbok

Jabbok Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    Funkytown, USA
    I give mine the non-cooked quick oats and they LOVE them (I mix them with a little wheat germ). Is that ok to do?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by