1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My son fed my horse for me last night. . .

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by horsewishr, Apr 9, 2008.

1. horsewishr

horsewishr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    and asked this morning, "Mom, what color is horse food?"

When I told him it was green, he said, "Oh, I then I fed Jay chicken food last night." [​IMG]

Jay seems fine this morning. And there wasn't so much as a crumble left in his feed bin. [​IMG]

2. M.J

M.J Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Maryland
    your horse should be fine if he didn't have a hole lot but be careful with the feeds for if your horse gets medicated chick feed it could die as well as any other kind of animal like dogs, cats, or even adult birds for the medication to them is toxic.
    My pony will some times escape from her pen so i keep the feed shed locked up

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    If Jay starts wanting to climb into the barn rafters to roost at night, you've got trouble.

4. TheOLDNewChick

TheOLDNewChick I'm an original

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:I am imagining a roosting horse dropping a "horse egg" from 10-12ft height. [​IMG]

6. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:I am imagining a roosting horse dropping a "horse egg" from 10-12ft height. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I see enough horse eggs... I wish they would stop! [​IMG]

7. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Seems like a good place to ask a question.

How come for every POUND of food/hay my horse eats she produces 2 pounds of POOP?

8. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:[​IMG] Wish I knew the answer to that one. My question is, Why do they want to knock over the barrel when I'm picking it up?

9. horsewishr

horsewishr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    Quote:You know, I used to think horses pooped a lot. Until I got chickens.

Edited to add:
    He did get medicated chick food. I called the vet, and he said he couldn't find any info on amprolium and horses. He said to call the feed company. The feed company said I'd have to feed Jay 5#/day for a month before I saw any effects--and even then, the medication wasn't "known" to be toxic to horses. He got a total of one pound.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  10. M.J

M.J Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Maryland
    as long as you horse is fine
    different than the chick feed but thats in Maryland alot of horse are coming down with colic and one friend had to put her horse down last week

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by