my son found a sugar glider at the football field..

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by agnes_day, Feb 24, 2009.

1. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    and we know nothing about them! we bought it a bird cage, made a little hammock type nest thing for it to hide in, and have been giving her fruits and some sort of fruit ferret food type stuff..also cut up hot dogs. this thing looks evil...im just praying that it never gets loose! can they be tamed?
    i still cant believe he found it at 7 at night in a football field parking lot!

2. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

It's wild? Uhoh. I'd give it to the humane society or something

3. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
  4. agnes_day

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    well, it doesnt seem to be very tame but i am pretty sure its not indigenous to oklahoma [​IMG]

i just think it looks hideous with its bug eyes and horrible hissing.

5. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    It's probably scared half to death. No telling what it's been through. [​IMG]

6. agnes_day

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    thats what i think...i wonder how though, it got there. surely someone didnt just dump the poor creature off like that.

7. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

it is undoubtedly EXTREMELY traumatized. Are you certain it is a sugar glider and not a flying squirrel? (We had a flying squirrel for several years when I was growing up; she lived in a birdcage quite happily and was a sweetheart). Do some research on proper diet, give it some dark quiet areas in the cage to hide, consider covering at least 2-3 sides of the cage with a towel or something to provide some cover & security, and be patient! If it is indeed a SG that has escaped, it will need some time to realize that the Big Giant Hairless Creatures aren't going to put little furry creature on their menu... [​IMG]

8. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    What? Wow! Poor thing. Cool! I've known some people who've kept sugargliders as pets, but I don't think they ever became very friendly. It's lucky you found it.

9. agnes_day

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    oh no, its definitely a sugar glider..i about had a heart attack when i saw it!
    it is doing ok..but i mean, it seems unhappy in a cage, the poor guy. it looks unhappy no matter what to be honest!

10. luvzmybabz

luvzmybabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    They noise is called crabbing my friends had some until everytime she woke up to go to the bathroom they would start to crab at her. The are nocternal (sp) and do not like too much attention during the day. They LOVE fresh cut fruit and raisins etc as a snack.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by