My son invited a house guest

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by annaraven, Mar 18, 2011.

1. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    I got home from lunch with DH today to an unexpected house guest. She was in an abusive situation and DS invited her here to "stay until she gets on her feet". She's 18 and done some junior college but other than that, no job experience and not really any "skills". I mean, she can type... I'm going to take her over to the local clinic tomorrow to get a checkup and make sure she's healthy. The two of them helped clean out the guest room so she can stay there. We'll see how serious she is about finding work. I know there are some help wanted signs around for basic cashiering and stuff that won't need much skill so she should be able to find *something*. As long as she helps around the house, I'm thinking of having her give me "rent" that I'll put aside for her to make the deposit for a rental place. If she doesn't help and doesn't work, she's outta here.

2. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Hope it goes well

(I have a sons GF that had a similar situation......it will be a year in May...)

3. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    I'm going to take her over to the local clinic tomorrow to get a checkup and make sure she's healthy.

don't forget to quarantine for 3 weeks, she might look healthy but she could be a carrier [​IMG]

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:don't forget to quarantine for 3 weeks, she might look healthy but she could be a carrier [​IMG]

Muhahahhaha! [​IMG]

5. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    Trust me on this - house rules. In writing. Soonest.

6. txhomegrown

txhomegrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2010
    Como, TX
    If you need to re-home her, let me know how much shipping will be.

7. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I hope that your new house guest will become useful. I know that I don't want to deal with a young adult that doesn't know how to help out around the home. It's a great idea to have her pay rent for a down payment on her own place.

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:don't forget to quarantine for 3 weeks, she might look healthy but she could be a carrier [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    I hope your house guest works out as well!

I had a pretty "interesting" childhood that somewhat left me with a lot of responsibility and no parenting since I was 14. I leaned HEAVILY on a few adults for that parenting structure - and well into my 20's. I didn't need a place to live, but I needed someone to talk to and guide me, someone to call on when I was confused, lost, upset, or just any of the things people normally call their parents for. One of them passed away, and one couple still are very close friends that I can depend on like parents. That couple also "adopted" a 16 y/o from an abusive situation - he pretty much started staying at their house instead of his, they discussed it with his parents (who didn't care), and the school (who was supportive), and the kid graduated with honors, went to college, and is doing very well. They set down house rules, made him work on the farm, do chores, and treated and loved him like their other kids. Their daughter didn't like him much when he was there, but ended up starting to date him down the road, and they are married now [​IMG]

I hope she will learn to understand to trust and will be grateful for your support [​IMG]

10. zippitydooda

zippitydooda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Ottawa, Ohio
    Quote:[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by