My son is allergic to his new chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Larkin, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Larkin

Larkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Northern Wisconsin
    We have 2 week old chicks and my son is suffering greatly. His eyes itch, his nose is stuffed, and it sounds like he has a monster cold! Can't use a nettie pot for him because he's only 8 and freaks out when I try. He takes a allergy pill daily for allergies to pollen but it doesn't help him at all with the chicks. Poor boy likes to go out to the coop and visit the chicks so we'll have to go into town and buy him a good dust mask and maybe have him wear his swimming goggles while he is in there. It's a very well ventilated and clean/new coop so he must be very sensitive to them. Wish us luck![​IMG]

2. LizGled628

LizGled628 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Poor guy! Is this your first time with chicks? Maybe it's the wood shavings? I find that when I change their bedding I get really stuffy. Sounds like you are doing all the right things though. Good luck!

3. sunshine23

sunshine23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    Hialeah, FL
    I feel your pain [​IMG] I think I'm allergic to them too. I've been horribly sick since I got them. I've been stuffed and coughing non-stop, I even had a pretty bad sore throat for 4 days and I don't even have tonsils anymore. Hopefully we'll get used to them [​IMG]

4. downstownlady

downstownlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Conroe, TX
    Pine shavings drives me and my husband right over the edge with the allergies. I have decided to switch to sand and just use pine shavings in the hen house and nest areas, unless I can come up with a better alternative.

5. sunshine23

Jun 22, 2010
    Hialeah, FL
    Quote:well, now that I think about it, I did get some allergies when I got the pine shavings before they even got here so that might be my problem as well. Is there anything else besides sand I can use in their brooder which is just a big box

6. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    some people use old towels or shredded newspaper in the brooder. I immediately thought of the shavings as well. Hope it gets better.

7. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    I would also change the bedding as well it is worrth a try good luck!

8. Larkin

Larkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Northern Wisconsin
    Quote:It is our first time with chicks and I'm sure we are just going to have to find a way to deal with the allergies because the birds are going NOWHERE! I have 3 children that would probably die from heartache (me too)!

9. sunshine23

Jun 22, 2010
    Hialeah, FL
    Quote:It is our first time with chicks and I'm sure we are just going to have to find a way to deal with the allergies because the birds are going NOWHERE! I have 3 children that would probably die from heartache (me too)!

same here...lol

10. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Probably the shavings also growing chicks put out a HUGE amount of dander as they grow out of their fuzz. If it's not the shavings then he will probably not be allergic to fully feathered birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by