1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My son is showing for the first time next week. Any tips?!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mama24, Apr 3, 2012.

1. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    We have never even been to a show, but he has been asking to show for a couple years since I told them about breed standards and shows, etc. We went to our first local poultry club meeting and put in our paperwork. He wants to show *6* birds! I thought it was too much, but the older guys there told me to let him and it would be fun. But after hearing about all the prep seasoned showers do, I'm feeling a little nervous. What all do we need to do to our birds before the show? He wants to show 3 cockerels, all 6 mos old, a black Orp, a blue Ameraucana, and a wheaten Penedesenca. Then he also wants his favorite pet, our Pyncheon rooster, plus 2 pullets, a black Ameraucana and a wheaten Penedesenca. One of the guys came up to me after the meeting and told me to make sure he bathes each of them, trims their nails, and puts some baby oil on their combs and wattles. Any other advice? Thanks so much, I really appreciate it!

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Make sure they aren't wild (I doubt they are!) I know it is stressful when it's your first time and your entering 6 birds!. Make sure the chicken doesn't flap when you clean it in the tub. They can break their feathers very easily. Baby shampoo works well on the chickens. Even if the chickens don't get placed, it's a learning experience. I know there are some folks here on BYC who sell breeder birds, who are good to show. Have fun!

3. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Take some wipes with you to the show as they tend to get dirty in transition, especially the feet.

I don't always bathe the entire bird. If they are clean, I bathe the feet only. Most often, you'll need to clean the vent area pretty good.

4. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by