My son left my not quite six week old chicks out in a thunderstorm!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sj3364, May 11, 2011.

1. sj3364

sj3364 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Ack! I'm so mad! My daughter had to work and I had a lecture to attend so I asked my 20 yr old son to put the chicks away. I just came home in the middle of a huge thunderstorm and my son was not home. I thought, I better run out there and just make sure he put the chicks away. Halfway to the coop I can see that the coop door is open. I open the side door and look in and no chicks. I look in the run and there they are, all huddled together in the corner, totally soaked!

At least it is unseasonably warm. I hope they will be okay.

Should I bring them and dry them off or let them stay out in the coop?

grrr!!! so mad!

2. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    prob best to try to dry them if u can't get an area that u could set up heat lamp overnight with them [​IMG] good luck!

3. zoa

zoa Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    Buxton, ND
    oh no!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Can you bring them inside, try and dry them off and put them under a heat lamp?? That is what I would do and hope for the best!
    So sry that this happened [​IMG]

4. brownsunshine

brownsunshine Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    Ripley, WV
    oh my goodness, the poor dears! i have my chicks inside, but take them out when the weather is nice. one day i had them out and one, the smallest one, by the way i only have three, started peeping her brains out. i finally took them inside, not due to the loud peeping, just because it was time for dinner. about 20 minutes after bringing them inside- a thunderstorm came! i think she sensed it- which is amazing to me [​IMG]

i hope you have better luck in the future with your babysitters! maybe it would be best to put them in the coop when you leave.

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  5. sj3364

Apr 21, 2011
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I just went back out there and they seem pretty dry and warm. The outside temp is 75 so I think they will be okay. I was lucky and got home just as it started pouring and only their outside feathers got wet.

My son said he put them away but didn't know he had to close the coop door to the run. This was only their third day in the new coop and don't know about going to bed at night yet. Poor babies.

6. iBoodle

iBoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    Idaho
    Aw! Poor babies [​IMG] Hope they are ok!

7. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    If you want to, you can blow-dry them... They enjoy it too... [​IMG]

8. sj3364

Apr 21, 2011
    Grand Rapids, MI
    They seem fine when I let them out this morning. I think they didn't get wet beyond their top feathers. I, on the other hand was soaked to the bone.

9. SuperChiks

SuperChiks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    North Carolina
    awwwww poor things -

10. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Glad that your chicks are okay. Sorry you got soaked. I would make sure that DS knows to shut all doors on the coop from now on. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by