1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My son wants to....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jolyn, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    My 4.5 year old would like to take a few of the chicks to his preschool. Would it be ok to seperate the chicks for about an hour and a half to take a couple there? They are over two weeks old now. Would this disrupt them too much?

I was planning on putting them in a little ventilated box with some food and water.

Thanks for any info,
    Jodie

2. S n M Poultry

S n M Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2007
    Riverside,CA
    i took a few birds, chicks, and ducklings to my little cousins school once. They were fine. I would say it would be ok to do that. Just take enough chicks to keep so thay can keep eachother warm.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  3. Cheep Mama

Cheep Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Michigan
    I'm sure they will be fine and the kids will love them!!!

4. S0rcy

S0rcy Chillin' With My Peeps

I have been taking my Buff Orpingtons to my childrens Elementary school one day a week for two weeks now and they love it [​IMG] The kids make drawings of how they change and ask all kinds of questions.

5. kbarrett

kbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    PA
    I took 4 of our 1 1/2 week old chicks to my sons' preschool last Thurs. The kids had a blast. It was very warm that day and the chicks seemed fine if a little tired when I got them back in their brooder. It's hard work being oohed & aaah'd over [​IMG]

6. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    The kids loved the chicks. I took in four and they did great!!!

Thanks for the info,
    Jodie

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Excellent. I am glad it went well and the kids had a great time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by